homemade kick starter

How about putting about a 4 inch sproket to the rear of the recoil starter on a mount and fix a kick starter to it and a small chain that goes to a small sproket on the recoil starter. So when you kick it the large sproket will turn the engine about 4 times as much as the kick starter. Just have to make a mount to hold the kick starter. Also the recoil starter will pull the kick lever back up when you take your foot off of it. :shrug:

Last edited:
Its a start. I don't think its that hard to do. But I'm not sure how the ratchet would work. Would you leave it on or remove it after starting? Would the ratchet keep spining "Clicking" when the engine is running if left on? Not quite sure.:confused:
I dont think so.. the starter clutches are designed to turn freely CCW and lock CW for engine starting.. after the motor is running the pulley just holds the square driver still and the rest of the starter clutch spins around it. so as long as there's something to hold the ratchet still (which would kinda already be the case with the spring pushing up on it) as long as the wrench was secured in another location it shouldn't spin. He doesn't really need to have the starter clutch at all too, it would work just as well if there was a socket over the starter cup nut.

You should hear one of those starters when it's not oiled properly or one of the balls is rusted. talk about bleeding ears. :doah:

and you're idea isn't bad, if he can find a way to secure a sprocket to the engine shaft.. maybe like weld it on to a stud coupler. :shrug:

Last edited:
He's not the sharpest pencil in the box but it gives you thought. I would do away with the pully and do a chain from one to the other or 2 gears.

delray

that picture of the red briggs with the kick start on it is from one of are OldMiniBikes members. not sure if he still comes on here or not..:shrug: i remember him saying it didn't work so great. the kicker felt like it wanted to kick back and rip is leg off. not sure why..:shrug:maybe a timing problem or just to big of a motor?or the kicker setup wrong?

delray

kick starter setup from you tube posted would get with a project build where you would have the engine in close under a steel cover. for example something like the vintage scooters where built back in the day......:scooter:

Tell you what 5horsebriggs is on the right start. Wish I was this enthusiastic at such a young age as this wee lad. Future OMBer all the way!!!! :thumbsup:

He must have one heck of a long pull rope. :smile:

Not to change the subject but I just took my first ride on my 1963 Tule Trooper that I bought the other day. Had to put new tires and tubes on it, Gaskets and Diofram in the carb, and Spark Plug and the engine is running strong. Original engine Briggs and Stratton don't know what HP. It has the original Maximatic driver and driven Torque Converter along with the 2 speed trans (Granny and OverDrive). It was cool. Now to get the other one finished for the 2 grandkids to ride. I think we should start a pool on how long before one of them takes a trip to the emergency room.

Last edited: