Homemade minibike tire mounting tool

rugblaster

Continuing the Covid-Corona whatever, too many Coronas deal, shop tools whatever.... I was working on my Sears Drover and ordered some Carlisle 4.10x3.50-6 tires. Well, these things are stiff as a.....well, they are stiff. So I put them in the oven at 175 degrees F (Low as the oven would go, and pissed off the wife) and I still couldn't force these MF'ers on the wheel......so, recalling my misspent youth, working in a gas station with a manual tire machine (the ones OUTSIDE THE BUILDING) I made a mounting tool using a 5/8 steel hot rolled round bar, blacksmithed down to this profile and welded a 3/8ths square bar to block the bead........and BOOM........fokker worked great. I would sell these, but my arm hurts from building this one. IMG_5741 (1).JPG

Last edited:

rugblaster

The square tube is a integral part of the 5/8ths round bar mashed, deal. That's what the bar is wrapped around in a bumpy sort of way. Each facet of the square tube allows time lapses for prodigious curse words to fly. Example: "This piece of Shi$ Mother#uck#er, I'm finnin to throw this M%ther f&cker out the %uckin window!!!" I think my neighbors are becoming frightened of me....i.e. Grown man, ridin' minibikes around the neighborhood with open exhaust, #%ickhead.

Last edited:

PatrickCraik

LOL! Youre reading my mail. I may have given my neighbor pause for concern about me too. The fence doesnt block any sound,lol! I just reassembled the rear wheel for my MTD. I easily did this before, but of course, I couldnt remember the easy way. I finally asked a member here ( THANKS RAPIDROB) to give me his link on the subject and VOILA! Cant believe I had to ask someone but its been a while. I installed 1/2 the rim,then tube, then used a couple of clamps to squish the tire together,get the tube out of the way,then install the other 1/2 of the rim. Easy peasy. Al good till I realized I had the valve on the wrong side.UHH!. So,I got to do it again. Fun stuff when youre bored...BTW,Great idea making that tool.

Last edited:
In the future, try soaking the new tire in warm water for a few hours first.
When I was working in a Service Station, remember those? if the tire is wet and soaked well it is very easy to mount AND if you have to cut the tire up for what ever reason the saw will not bind and cut much easier than if the tire was dry.

It has really helped me to clamp the bead with a padded-jaw, non-marring Vice Grip. It captures the tire bead and prevents me from making several trips around the wheel.
That and some baby powder for the tube and tire.
Good ideas here, thanks everyone.