Homlite Trail King

the drive clutch is also an engine brake. When you close ( back off) the throttle the clutch locks to the engine shaft and uses the compression of the engine to slow you down. With my stock engine it is impressive. With a highly modified engine it would really be something to feel.
While not a Jake-Brake, which uses and engines exhaust to slow the vehicle down, the result is about the same.
The bikes engine is turned into a momentum air compressor. It drops out bat about 250 RPM and you free wheel. If you blip the engine, the clutch engages/disengages almost instantly braking the bike again.
Other than really steep ( as in you can't stand up) the brake works well in slowing you down.
A panic stop using the Maxamatic and the bikes two brakes will smoke the tires as every thing locks up.
The instant you give the engine the "gas" your moving again under power. There is no delay.
I don't detect any engine braking on our TK so far, I've been trying to figure it out. Our Tote Gote's of course had pronounced engine braking that was pretty cool to experience. I'm wondering if my front clutch on the engine is not stock and therefore lacks the braking functionality. Either way I need more brakes. Gotta find a front wheel assembly that includes a drum or something at minimum.

You are missing two brakes and the clutch/brake.
There should be a front hub brake, a large transmission brake ( no transmission) and the engine clutch brake.
I hardly ever use the two cable brakes as the engine brake works very well indeed.

You are missing two brakes and the clutch/brake.
There should be a front hub brake, a large transmission brake ( no transmission) and the engine clutch brake.
I hardly ever use the two cable brakes as the engine brake works very well indeed.
LOL Who knew I only had half of a Trail King here! Alright well I guess the search for the engine clutch begins...

Their not out there anymore. The last one I saw for sale went for a lot of $$$. I wish some company would make them again.
I tear mine apart every five hours of riding and do a though cleaning/lubing. It really works well on steep down hill rides.

Their not out there anymore. The last one I saw for sale went for a lot of $$$. I wish some company would make them again.
I tear mine apart every five hours of riding and do a though cleaning/lubing. It really works well on steep down hill rides.
While that isn't great news, I guess at the end of the day I'll be happy to find anything I can run in terms of a front wheel with a brake assembly on it. That said, I'll still be keeping my eyes open and my ear to the ground for a Trail King Parts Stash. It's out there, somewhere..

I replaced all of my seals bought from Kaman Industrial Technologies. Thay will have or can order the correct seals. Just take the old ones for them to measures.