Homlite Trail King

delray

I think you should boot the stock carb and go with a better carb setup like a mikuni,billet rod,hot coil and couple other things too. stock small block 5hp is going to be a real pooch when it comes to pushing that heavy bike around the way you have it now.
fab work is looking good.

Fourtogo

I think you should boot the stock carb and go with a better carb setup like a mikuni,billet rod,hot coil and couple other things too. stock small block 5hp is going to be a real pooch when it comes to pushing that heavy bike around the way you have it now.
fab work is looking good.
Got another mini with VTwin in it . Just want a rider mini on this one .

Attachments

Fourtogo

Working on truck bed . Didn’t really care for 3/8 railing on the back stock Homlite . Sticks out around the bed . Going do straight sides 2” on bed , it will have gear trak and removable D-Rings for tie down points .

Last edited:

Fourtogo

Working on truck bed . Didn’t really care for 3/8 railing on the back stock Homlite . Sticks out around the bed . Going do straight sides 2” on bed , it will have gear trak and removable D-Rings for tie down points .
They normally come with a fault sheet metal bed with a 3/8 railing surrounding the bed . Yes the tire is just sitting between frame rails not mounted . I put gear trak on inside for the removable D-rings that are adjustable front to back .

Attachments

Fourtogo

Just a FYI on Chinese bought brakes . Be aware that the brake caliper brackets . Mounting lugs are only press fitted in the plates > shocking two taps and they fell out , not weld or friction welded . Meaning they can come at most inopportune moments. I welded the the lugs in after the I modified the bracket .

Fourtogo

Just a FYI on Chinese bought brakes . Be aware that the brake caliper brackets . Mounting lugs are only press fitted in the plates > shocking two taps and they fell out , not weld or friction welded . Meaning they can come at most inopportune moments. I welded the the lugs in after the I modified the bracket .
I am definitely not a fan of single braking systems on a mini bike . Fred Flinstone brake applications isn’t going to help old geezer stop for beer and chips .

Fourtogo

Happy holidays to every one , got to do a little bit more on the Trail King . These T-Kings have a unique foot peg design . Being these minis are supposed be a woods all around . Bush beater the pegs swing back and they are spring loaded for return . The normal seats on TK are giant looking bicycle seat deals . I wanted something a bit trimmer. . I am using a repop Honda Trail 50 seat . It’s actually really well made piece . Next up will be ether the kick stand , or the roller chain tensioner . I have pieces for roller tensioner > springs < I like order more than one if there cheap . I also have four new skate wheels . I am going use a old unused lug wrench for a kick stand , going too cut it down to fit, as my TK did not come with one . When weld on it , your nice welding stands out . As the original manufacturer wasn’t that keen on dimes and nickel welds on the frame .

Attachments

Fourtogo

Starting a Trail King Mini . Haven’t found a lot of info in print yet . Pretty kool Mini all the same, unquie suspension, chassis hinges in the middle with a leaf spring . Going run jack shaft instead of high low gear box . Going run a 5hp Tecumseh with Max Torque Clutch and up grad from drum brake/disk scrubber to scooter disk brakes front back . Semi restored is what it will be for frame wheels brakes white powered coated wheels . White paint on engine , it will have new truck bed in back . Adding a much smaller tie down / grab rail for bed area . It has no shocks for leaf spring suspension. I have access to mini coil overs too cure that issue .
Yes I need too trim the bottom of seat brackets . I left them long Incase I wasn’t happy where seat was located in the height department. That will get trimmed after i do some riding .

Good job so far on your Trail King. Your front end is different than mine and must be an improvement to prevent flexing?
They are a very different ride than any mini I have ever ridden as you sit upright. While not dangerous, it does take some skill on your part when off road.
The single leaf-spring does a pretty good job of taking care of the bumps and with the heavily padded seat it rides pretty good. Dropping gthe tire pressure helps a lot.
The bike will climb with the best of them. I still have the two speed oil filled gear box and rarely do I need to go into low gear.
They were designed to carry you and 500 pounds of gear. I'm not sure how the balance would be doing that. I have carried close to 100 pounds on the rack of camping stuff.
I now have two exhaust pipes. One for Winter ( over the rack) that really heats you leg and butt and Summer, under the rack to keep the heat farther away from you. The exhaust note is really low and behind you which is nice when you putting along in the mountains.
I've ridden the bike more than 1,000 miles in my mountains and wore out the original front tire. Finding an original replacement tire was impossible as they quit making them 50 years ago.
I like your "new" rear tire as it will provide really good traction in loose sand. The drive system will not allow a tire like yours to be mounted.
The original Clutch/Brake is amazing. I have only seen one every for sale and it was over a 1,000 bucks new in the box. It senses engine load and when you back off of the throttle the "braking" timing clutch catches and uses the engine as the brake. It works very well and seldom do I need to use the real brakes ( very steep downhills)
There are two brakes that stop the front wheel as you can see and a brake on the transmission input shaft. When applied you had better be ready for a quick stop. Add the engine brake as well and I can clearly see a fully loaded bike stopping on a dime.
In the ad you can read the bikes were not cheap in the 50's. You could buy a nice used car for that price.
DSCF2195.jpg NWTrailKing2.jpg

NWTrailKing4.jpg

NWTrailKing5.jpg
NWTrailKing6.jpg

Trail King8.jpg

Trail King9.jpg

Trail King10.jpg
TrailKinglargetire2.JPG

TrailKinglargetire3.JPG

Fourtogo

Good job so far on your Trail King. Your front end is different than mine and must be an improvement to prevent flexing?
They are a very different ride than any mini I have ever ridden as you sit upright. While not dangerous, it does take some skill on your part when off road.
The single leaf-spring does a pretty good job of taking care of the bumps and with the heavily padded seat it rides pretty good. Dropping gthe tire pressure helps a lot.
The bike will climb with the best of them. I still have the two speed oil filled gear box and rarely do I need to go into low gear.
They were designed to carry you and 500 pounds of gear. I'm not sure how the balance would be doing that. I have carried close to 100 pounds on the rack of camping stuff.
I now have two exhaust pipes. One for Winter ( over the rack) that really heats you leg and butt and Summer, under the rack to keep the heat farther away from you. The exhaust note is really low and behind you which is nice when you putting along in the mountains.
I've ridden the bike more than 1,000 miles in my mountains and wore out the original front tire. Finding an original replacement tire was impossible as they quit making them 50 years ago.
I like your "new" rear tire as it will provide really good traction in loose sand. The drive system will not allow a tire like yours to be mounted.
The original Clutch/Brake is amazing. I have only seen one every for sale and it was over a 1,000 bucks new in the box. It senses engine load and when you back off of the throttle the "braking" timing clutch catches and uses the engine as the brake. It works very well and seldom do I need to use the real brakes ( very steep downhills)
There are two brakes that stop the front wheel as you can see and a brake on the transmission input shaft. When applied you had better be ready for a quick stop. Add the engine brake as well and I can clearly see a fully loaded bike stopping on a dime.
In the ad you can read the bikes were not cheap in the 50's. You could buy a nice used car for that price.
View attachment 255541 View attachment 255532

View attachment 255533 This my buddies Trailking it’s all original

View attachment 255534
View attachment 255535

View attachment 255536

View attachment 255537

View attachment 255538
View attachment 255539

View attachment 255540

Attachments