Honda ATC Questions

I know it's not really a mini bike question but I'm sure someone on here has experience with ATC's. I just picked up a 1979 Honda ATC 110 yesterday in overall very nice shape but it has a couple issues, mainly the wiring was chewed up by mice and the tires are completely shot. I was wondering if anyone knew a good parts source or if there was a place I could buy a new wiring harness and a set of either new or used tires. Aside from that it's in really good shape and only cost me $60! I'm really excited to get this thing going and thrash it on the beach Message_1555202264976.jpg

So I did a little searching and I got a new set of v tread tires on ebay along with a used wiring harness. I did splice what was left of the wiring together and I got it running fairly well although it needs a carb rebuild, and the muffler is rusted out and leaking badly. But I started cleaning it up and it looks really good! 20190414_115659.jpg 20190414_124813.jpg

I'm really happy with it! The first thing I'm going is putting on the new set of tires and then I think I'll just enjoy it a while before I do the muffler or pull the engine to replace the harness. But it's pretty much exactly what I wanted, sort of the medium sized engine with a dual range transmission, earlier style with the round headlight, rear rack, trailer hitch, and even a gun rack!

Just dropped the tires off to get mounted and the exhaust off to get patched today. Hopefully I'll be riding next weekend! It's gonna look mean with the tires I got. Last thing it needs is electrical work to get the lights working but I'm gonna put that off for as long as I can unless there's someone near me that knows electrical and can help me out lol

Just got the new tires installed and this thing looks badass now. I wasn't 100% on board with it with the knobbies but these really aggressive mud tires really give it an awesome look! I got it tuned up and running like new, the last piece it needs is the muffler, which my mechainic should have welded up this week. 20190426_124844.jpg 20190426_181851.jpg

Play with the tire pressures for a good balance between ride and handling. I know that sounds funny but you will see the difference if you try it. I usually ran 8 PSI in my Hondas but they had the factory Ohtsu tires on them. I have had 7 or 8 of them over the years and still have 3. 2 Big Reds and a 250SX. All projects. Also learn to lean out of the turn not into the turn. You have to decrease the load on the inside tire if you want to actually turn. They are loads of fun right up until you forget and put your foot down and promptly run over it... Been there done that. Once is enough. All of mine had a factory racks on them and you had to be careful with loading the rack causing the front end to weigh nothing. Your rack looks to be an aftermarket rack with it positioned a little to the rear. If you look long enough you can find a front rack for it that will mount just above the fender. Move the gun racks to the handle bars so you can keep an eye on your long gun. It is easy to hang it on a tree branch or fence post with it behind you and as low as it is. I fabricated a bracket to mount on the handlebars that held 2 long guns just out ahead of the grips. Kept it when I sold the 3 wheeler and now have it on my 4wd Rancher.

Like the vert. 71 or 2??? Cant tell without seeing the lettering on the trunk. I see that yours has 14'' Magnums. I always ran 15'' Magnums on my 71's and 2's. Fills up the opening a little better not to mention the lack of tire selection these days in 14''.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/45294-Honda-OHTSU-tires

Any idea where I might be able to get new straps for the gun rack? The rubber is toast. I'm gonna run about 5psi in the tires because that's what the tire calls for and I don't have any suspension. Not sure if the rack is original or not but it should be perfect for a cooler of beer on the beach! The Mustang is a '71, I'm just running the 14's until the tires go, then I'll put 15's on. I've got an old set of Rocket Racing wheels from the 80's that should fit the bill

Last thing I need is the exhaust, and that should be done this week. I didn't want to run the engine much without the muffler but I took it out for a couple minutes today and ran through the gears and all seems to be good. And it's looking pretty slick too! 20190427_125231.jpg 20190427_125337.jpg

Got my muffler patched and reinstalled and took it for its maiden voyage tonight! It rides really nice and goes like a bat outta hell in a straight line but turns, especially at low speed, are pretty tough... Never had a trike before but I think this one is going to stay with me for a long time. I'll post some pictures when the weather stops being crappy

That is looking great !

Regarding the turning...this type three wheeler you sit up, so to speak, above the engine, which changes the center of gravity. Just be careful with it.

When you get a chance, ride a mini trike, like the allsports, or the wards trikes...you sit at the same level as the engine, and it has a lower center of gravity. Completely different ride.

Have fun with yours !

It goes like a bat outta hell in a straight line but turns, especially at low speed, are pretty tough...
You have to do the opposite of what you think. Lean OUT in a turn. You need to unload the inside tire. They turn tight once you figure out the lean.... It feels weird at first but becomes natural once you get the hang of it. And like RobertC said be careful.

You have to do the opposite of what you think. Lean OUT in a turn. You need to unload the inside tire. They turn tight once you figure out the lean.... It feels weird at first but becomes natural once you get the hang of it. And like RobertC said be careful.
Yeah, I'm leaving it in low range until I get the hang of it, and I'm not allowed to ride on the grass so I'll need to get some practice offroad. This trike is definitely my best purchase in a long time

Looks like I have to replace the rear axle bearings in this thing. It's still very rideable but I'm going to pull the rear end apart and change them just to be on the safe side before I use it too much