Honda ct70 fuel leak help

Hey guys, I posted a thread last week about possibly buying a 1991 honda ct70, and turns out I bought the sucker!! This baby is nice and clean, only 500 miles on it. I put about 40 miles on it when riding it back home from where I got it (I drive a civic couple lol). THe thing ran great ever since I bought it, but now there's a bad fuel leak that I'm trying to resolve. IT died on me while riding it yesterday and I noticed the heavy fuel leak immediately.. I made a video to show yall the problem I'm having. I think there's a screw missing from one part of the carb where it seems to be leaking most.

Yall have to understand, I've never owned a bike and know next to nothing about motorcycle repair, so please bear with me.

Here's the video showing the problem(click title for full screen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvLURgMbb2Q

Let me know if yall can help me fix the problem. If someone can walk me through it that would be great. I can even paypal someone $10 for your time if it gets resolved.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

Last edited:

bruces

The area on the right side of the carb that you pointed to ,should have a screw ,which is the fuel drain for when you are going to store or transport the bike .If there is no screw present ,order one from the dealer for a few bucks .The front area of the carb you pointed to ,is where the fuel drains out when you turn the screw ,there should be a piece of fuel line on it that routes to the left of the engine and passes through a metal tab bolted to the engine case in front of the shifter .

okay I figured that hole was the cause but I really wasn't sure.. I don't know why it was working for so long.. maybe the screw fell out during my last ride.

Anyhow, thanks for the help bruce! I'm gonna see where I can find a screw for that and hopefully my problems are solved..

That drain screw should normally always be snugged up, to drain the carb fuel bowl the screw only needs loosened 1/2 or 3/4 turn.
The fuel should never leak from around the screw itself only, from the drain barb with the hose attached when the screw is loosened.
The fuel should have been draining from the fuel bowl by leaking from the drain barb long before the screw finally fell out.
A local Honda dealer can get the part and hose for you or you can try Bike Bandit.com or Cheap Cycle parts.com