honda powerwashers = cheap engines?

dirt

spring is here and i am seeing dead powerwasherson craigslist . bad hoses and pumps. has anyone used a honda powerwasher engine on a mini? should i buy some? they are selling $50-$75 posting good engine but washer needs etc etc . any hints what to look out for? like a welded pully on the shaft. well i can always use the carb.

The last one we bought needed the crank changed out as it had the wrong type of output shaft. After that it quickly became one of my favorite engines.

Like square chopper said. Differently check the crank shaft size before buy it. It will add to the cost of it, if you have to buy a 3/4 inch crank for it, It may be cheaper to buy a engine with a 3/4 crank in it from the get go.
I have gotten a 6.5hp Briggs Intek off a power washer and it had a 3/4 crank, keyed and tapped for a bolt.

Yes if the engine is in good shape.

5.5 hp are good for parts.
You get high compression heads and pistons you can use in a clone.
Better quality internal parts you can recycle into a clone like the ignition and flywheel.
Stronger block ect.

50 for that is not a bad idea

Are you thinking about Honda GC160? I bought one on ebay local pickup. The guy said never run. The reason never run was because it didn't run. I spent a week working on it, runs great now. I thought I had been taken, but I love it now.

I think harder to work on compared to GX engines, anyway definitely different with OHC (overhead cam). Check out a parts diagram sometime. Probably will be running it stock, but in my book pretty fast, maybe fast enough.

Don't buy one without 3/4" x 2 3/16" PTO. You will probably be challenged to hook up throttle linkage. I got my throttle hooked up OK, but still want to improve it.

Image Detail for - http://www.sydneytools.com.au/images/Products/Honda%20GC%20160%205HP_SYD%20ADD%201.jpg

Note: (1) the head/ cylinder is one piece, i.e. the head is cast as the top of the cylinder, not bolted on, (2) there is no side cover, you have to split the diagonal case to get to the inside of the engine, (3) overhead cam with belt drive is very cool.

warning to new young members,a lot of honda power washers had the pump
on the bottom of the pressure washer,that means the shaft is vertegel,
you nead a honda engine with a horazontal shaft, that means pump on the
side of engine, not the bottem. :thumbsup:

MB165

The ExCell brand power washers used the short metric sized PTO. Unless the crank get changed out its definatley no good for minibikes

Power washers with the bigger Honda engines are a good source for mini bike engines.The 8,9,11 and 13hp tapered cranks have enough to turn the shafts down to 3/4".