Honda z50r Won't Run

ugmold

I would start by cleaning the carb, you said the float stuck. Also don't swap the engine out, the Honda engine is fine. I have 2 1970 Z50's love em,

Just got my Honda z50r together enough for a first ride yesterday. Got it running for about 30 seconds until the needle and seat stuck and flooded the engine. I let it sit for a few hours to dry out and now it won't start at all, just either pops once or twice or backfires out the carb. Any ideas? I was thinking timing but how would the timing change so suddenly apart from a sheared flywheel key (checked that)?

I would start by cleaning the carb, you said the float stuck. Also don't swap the engine out, the Honda engine is fine. I have 2 1970 Z50's love em,
No intentions of swapping the engine unless it blows up, in which case I'm not going to go crazy, just a stock replacement or something like a CT70 engine with 4 speeds. I'm going to be rebuilding the carb but I want to get it running as is before I do that. I'm just going to be filling the bowl for the time being, not hooked up to the tank

No way it was that simple. With a new plug it fired right up on the first kick in 35 degree weather. Hasn't been ridden since the mid 90's until today about 10 minutes ago. I just have a factory NGK replacement plug in it but any recommendations on other brands? I'm going to buy some spares for when this one dies

No way it was that simple. With a new plug it fired right up on the first kick in 35 degree weather. Hasn't been ridden since the mid 90's until today about 10 minutes ago. I just have a factory NGK replacement plug in it but any recommendations on other brands? I'm going to buy some spares for when this one dies
Sometimes it is. The Trail 90 I mentioned had my head spinning until I threw in even a different used plug. Glad you got it running. Have fun. Love the little Honda's and they treat you well.

Sometimes it is. The Trail 90 I mentioned had my head spinning until I threw in even a different used plug. Glad you got it running. Have fun. Love the little Honda's and they treat you well.
Yeah, they're really good little bikes but too expensive for what they are in my opinion. The only reason I got this one was because it was free! Carb rebuild is on my list now but I'm going to do the fork boots next so the shocks don't rust

A funny little update to the ATC70. Just thought I would throw it on this same thread. Anyway, finally got around to picking the little gem up about a week ago as it was a couple hours away and when I bought it the truck we had was already full. Been looking for one of these for years. I get it home, tinker with finding missing parts for it out of my Honda stash and get it running and go for a spin. I get back home and my girlfriend calls. I say, I got the little ATC running, do you want to ride it once before I start tearing it apart for restoration? She says yes. Later that night she gets home and we go for a short ride as I only had a 2-liter bottle taped to the handlbars for fuel. After our short ride she says, can I take your little bike down to check the mail? I said sure. Off she goes.... When she gets back she says, "Wow. That was a lot more fun than I remember. The three-wheelers mine and we are putting a 125cc in it and I want a clutch too. Oh yeah, and a motorcycle style throttle." Well guys, I have all those parts here, but I think I lost my little ATC. Time to find another. Lol....... Let the fun begin! 20190321_171344_Burst01-1.jpg