Hoppy's "The WTF"-Open Class

sure is bigrob any progress is good. My main goal behind the "WTF" is to use or reuse anything i can that I already have to keep the build to a minimum on the wallet side. Want to it be functional but sturdy......its not going to sit in my shop to take up space and look cool. This thing is going to get used. So........figured i can easily make a mount for the front of the clutch guard out of junk hardware i have laying around. Not finalized obviously but imagine the bolt just being welded to the body of the WTF. Simple design but something that really should hold up for years without failure. Hinge on the back on the guard so that I can flip it up and out of the way if anything needs to be serviced on the clutch/chain. Kinda like a snowmobile clutch if you will.

Total cost $0.00 clutch guard and latches/hinge.:thumbsup:

sorry but this is the only picture ive taken of the very little progress i have made in the last two weeks

update 1/22/12

been cold in these neck of the woods and the shop doesnt have heat so...figured id best just try and do whatever i can in the heat in my little basement "shop". Messed around with throttle stuff and came out with this. Its my first attempt at making my own throttle stuff with a twist throttle. snowmobiles came with all that stuff setup so creating something was new to me. easy enough. want to use the stock tank so this all works nicely. have to replace a screw or two with shorter ones but all in all i think this is useable.

progress!:thumbsup:

Nope its a kohler. Or as many will say a Honda clone. Kohler command 7hp. Got it cheap awhile back for another project and then discovered i couldnt use an OHV engine on that. So.....ite been sitting around for over a year until i figured id use it on the WTF. now i have some shelf space back.:thumbsup:
Does it look like a predator? i have the tank off right now but thats going back on.

im not sure what these were from but had them laying around so figured id atleit use them for mockup purposes. Its solid and works very well as is so i suppose i could just use those brackets and trim off mickey mouse.

Clayon.....I have an old K181 from the 60's. Awesome engine. Super heavy yes but just a great running engine. I just fell in love with the kohlers. So based on that i bought this awhile back. I was not aware at the time i purchased it that they are not made in the USA like the old K181 and in fact it is much like a honda clone from what others have said. Would it have made me choose something differant.....who knows.:shrug: In any event its what im going with, am happy using, and in the end this is my build so screw you all!!! LOL joking guys!!! Thanks for the complimants clayon. It was priced right and will work just fine for what i need. Im not looking to do 50mph heck even 30mph. If i can ride this thing faster then i can walk i will be happy.

I too really like the old Kohlers. I have a old running 14hp Kohler with electric start that I was gonna use on a mini bike but it is insanely heavy.

zeeman

Your build gives me something to think about. I have 3 old snappers I'm not using. Can't wait to see what you do with this thing. Cool.

Update 1/29/12: still waiting on my dam axle to get back......:hammer: so my progress has been slow. Got the rear axle plates cut. I cant permanent mount anything in the rear until i have that back. been three weeks without my axle. did some mock up yesterday of other stuff. Talked to the painter yesterday to.:thumbsup:

going to start working on this next...........gotta be an "all season" machine right? I do live in CT where you just never know what your going to get.

Last edited: