Hoppy's "The WTF"-Open Class

Nice work, Hoppy.

I have an old Simplicity mower in the back yard with that same round tube frame. Might just drag it into the garage after I finish the Manco rebuild.

Update:10/26/12.......................got some work done on a very key part of this build. The skis. Found a set to use that were alot shorter then what I had originally planned on using. They fit the machine way better size wise. So then i had to figure out away to mount the ski's to the stock spindles that come on the machine. Since the WTF is intended to be used year round swapping from tires to skis in the winter is a must! See here is what I came up with. These should hold up really well!:thumbsup:

got to make the other one but now this one is done the next will breeze along. gotta clean them up abit and prime and paint and call them done.
More to come hopefully sooner then later.

Thanks Bud! Things seem to have settled down so I should be getting more shop time. More shop time is a good thing! Dont you worry......we shall ride side by side someday in the future!:thumbsup:

no excuses......its called Life. With the little one on the way I really need to get cracking on a few projects including this. Time to get serious.:grind:
I will at some point get a track in this thing....that was my vision from the start. The idea was I could make a "go kart" that could be turned into a "snow machine" with minimal tools and time. The summer WTF is soon to be done. Pictures will come soon. Pictures above are the start to phase #2. The winter WTF.

Last edited:
got some work done today. other mount is done. cleaned up the welds on both and primed and painted and there drying now. Did a quick test fit with one ski prior to painting the mounts. If I dont say so myself :thumbsup:!

I seem to have misplaced the other spindle................:shrug:. Its around somewhere....................:doah:

no snow.....no problem! Throw tires back on her in a few minutes.:scooter:

beefing up the front steering and wanted to make it adjustable for ski adjustments.............so quick fix.

old on top arm........new arm parts on bottom.

installed for the picture.......just gotta cut my rod to length.

Not far from painting the chasis soon.....thought originally a dark grey color but my mind seems to be changing to a blue of sorts.:shrug:

Im open to what anyone thinks would look good on this machine. All non-chasis parts are going to be black as shown on skis. Anyone have an opinion?

Wow, everything looks great Hoppy. :thumbsup: I think a nice blue would look good. What shade? a dark midnight type blue or a lighter Ford blue? :shrug:

nah im not a light a blue kinda guy so it would be something on the darker side. Anyone use the "hammered finish" blue? Ive never used the stuff but am considering it. Im thrown between a "real" paint job or spray bomb.

The hammertone paint is supposed be real good for covering up pitting and imperfections. But I have never had any luck with rattle can paint jobs, the best one I did was using Glenn Baine's method, here's the link: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/o...pray-paint-what-do-you-prefer.html#post435079 I bought a basic HVLP paint gun kit this summer to paint the my 'skeeter using the Duplicolor Color Shop paint system (primer, paint, then clear) and it worked great, the paint on the 'skeeter is nicest finish, and toughest finish on a bike that I have yet. Though Glenn's method is really good too.