Hoppy's "The WTF"-Open Class

You talked me out of it......real paint job it is. Thankfully rust didnt get this old girl so really no pits at all. I dont want to use the hammered stuff If im not going tike the finish. Suppose I should by a can to try on another small project. Thanks for the feedback clayon. Your paint did come out real nice!

Just another piece that I learned when I painted my 'skeeter, the guy who sandblasted it for me was an older fella who had his own body shop for years, and even had provincial government contracts, so he is really good at it. He told me that I didn't have to use primer on some of it because he just blasted enough off to get the rough stuff off, leaving some of the original paint that stuck really well because he said that if I just went over it with 1300 grit sand paper and cleaned it up then sprayed it, it would be just as good as primer. Just thought I would mention that. :thumbsup:

Looking good hoppy! I am still trying to figure out how to mount two skis to my bike so that they will pivot when I make turns. Keep up the great work! Owen

owen....thanks man! got any pictures of what your trying to do? is this a mini with front and rear ski or two skis in the front? the mounts I made allow the skis to pivot up and down. Throw me some pictures maybe you just need another set of eyes on it. Ive found sometimes two brains are better then one.

clayon....totally agree with the old timer. The paint on this thing was solid. being a 40 yearold machine with solid paint is rare. so what i did in the areas I primed was just scuff and clean and prime. That paint probably would last another 40 years so it adhered good no dought. My feeling is there is no need to take a solid paint job down to bare metal. If its solid.....sand it up, clean it, prime and paint. clear if you choose to.

Hoppy, I will get some pictures posted as soon as I can find a matching set of skis. Always would like a second set of eyes on this project, will need em' Owen.

Making progress. The front end is done as far as design and build work. Tires and skis will interchange very easily. So onto finishing up the back end. The side plates I made were never welded in place. With motor in "place" and shaft installed I made sure everything was level and plates and hangers got welded in. Got a quick shot of primer since I find it easier to do cleanup work with the primer on. makes it easier for me to see the high spots on the welds I want to clean up. So I stopped here for dinner......will let the primer dry overnight and then hit the welds some more tomorrow. Clean it all up after that with some body filler in places to make it real clean. Sorry pictures arent very exciting but I did say from the start..........this would be a "documented" build. LOL

Welded in plates and hangers....primed.....still need cleanup work.

Ive been playing with tracks, drive cogs, gears, jackshafts for the last two nights. Plans in motion!!!!

getting there.:grind: Motor mount welded in, engine in for fitting, rear axle in for fitting. The chain i bought was long.....cut it down. I think im going to have to make a chain tensioner. just abit to much slop for my taiste. Threw some parts on quick just to get the feel of an almost complete roller. got the bars on and throttle cable hooked up. Probably going to brake the engine in over the weekend on the stand. Should be rady for paint in a few weeks. Still trying to decide on rim color.....powder or paint. Decisions...decisions.

$10 swap meet score:thumbsup: just has more character then the one I was going to use.

So........I need to obviously cut the axle down so I marked that out tonight also.
Slow but steady project but I have to keep the prego wife happy! Happy wife happy life right?

Great work hoppy. :thumbsup: The old tractor seat fits this project really well, and with that 2nd tank you will have plenty of gas to go for a while, nice work. :thumbsup:

Is it the same light blue as the seat? Because that's a nice color. :thumbsup:
clay.....the seat was painted that blue when i found it at the swap. I like it but abit to light for my taiste. I went with the Midnight blue for the frame. All little parts.......steering, etc. are semi-black.

Rim color? Any thoughts? Im tossed bettwen black, white, or even grey.

buckeye

not sure if this is serious or not...............
Oh Lord yes!!! You are the kinda guy I envy. I can take someething apart if it's there. And find the replacement parts. But building something custom or fabbed, not happening. That part of my brain doesn't work.
No, totally serious.:thumbsup:

Oh Lord yes!!! You are the kinda guy I envy. I can take someething apart if it's there. And find the replacement parts. But building something custom or fabbed, not happening. That part of my brain doesn't work.
No, totally serious.:thumbsup:
LOL I appreciate the kind words buckeye. Wish I had some of the skills others have displayed here. Cool stuff.

didnt get any shop time in this weekend but did grab a handfull of parts from the stock pile and played around with a chain tensioner. Since my engine/axle are vertical to one another i really need to come in from the front with a tensioner....
so after 15 minutes or so of blank starring at the motor/axle/chain and sprocket.......I think something like this will work.(this isnt complete.....just a thrown together idea) i did in mybasemant "design shop".LOL
I can move the sprocket in and out by simply losening and titing a few nuts. The bolt through the gear is for pitcures only.................................The bracker would get aligned and bolted onto machine.

Rough concept chain tensioner.....I have to remount the motor to see if this will really work. In my head it will.

as pictured before....the direction of chain to axle is basically straight down.
Tensioner to be mounted in front of chain to take slack out there.

cant wait for the upcoming 4 day weekend....that should allow for some good fab time.:thumbsup: