Hoppy's "The WTF"-Open Class

I was wondering what is considered "good" chain tension? 1/4" play side to side? Is chain noise when the chain is coming around the clutch normal? this is on the stand axle in the air......so im spinning the axle and in turn the clutch. seem to be getting some chain noise there.............:shrug:

clayon...just sent you a PM

After an overdose of Turkey...........I made it out to the shop for a few.
Mission: Chain Tensioner. It works slick as :censure:. Modified from my original "idea" and installed and tested during engine breakin. I almost have a roller.:thumbsup: A Tav2 setup could be needed in the future but there is only one way to find out......and thats run it this way.

Next Mission: Brakes. For now I think im just going to try the band brake on the clutch and see how that works out. Im getting excited to start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and cant wait to get some paint on it.

Last edited:
not yet and to be honest since ive been having a hard time finding something in the size I need, Im leaning toward just ditching that entire part of it. I got a little one on the way, a busy schedule coming up besides that to. Think its time to just say enough is enough and enjoy it as a wheeled machine.....if I had tracks in hand or lined up to buy it would be a differant situation. Time to move onward with the build. I want to lay paint sooner then later to.

snowblower tracks are not a big deal the ones iv seen bolt up just like tires on a regular 3/4" axle with a bolt through it. so you can always add them later

My dilemas on tracks...............my original idea was to put one track underneath. I would need to cut down a 15"+ track down to like 13" for it to fit......and even then it would be tite. I did come up with a good way to drive the track using the cogs that go with it. Making the track fit in there is the issue. I could go with snowblower tracks on the outsides to but i cant get my hands on a good used set with the front and rear sprockets for a good price. New tracks and drivers are more money then i really want to spend on it. If i could find a used set, with all the drivers for a decent price Id be done and tracks would be going on.

I tried to find a used kitty kat track assy but no go there to........im striking out. Its doable..........IF I had the parts to do it.

snowblower tracks are not a big deal the ones iv seen bolt up just like tires on a regular 3/4" axle with a bolt through it. so you can always add them later
not a big deal to install......but they aint cheap new. Find me a good used set with front and rear cogs cheap and Im in!!!:thumbsup:

oldsledz

My dilemas on tracks...............my original idea was to put one track underneath. I would need to cut down a 15"+ track down to like 13" for it to fit......and even then it would be tite. I did come up with a good way to drive the track using the cogs that go with it. Making the track fit in there is the issue. I could go with snowblower tracks on the outsides to but i cant get my hands on a good used set with the front and rear sprockets for a good price. New tracks and drivers are more money then i really want to spend on it. If i could find a used set, with all the drivers for a decent price Id be done and tracks would be going on.

I tried to find a used kitty kat track assy but no go there to........im striking out. Its doable..........IF I had the parts to do it.
I thought maybe you couldn't find a track short enough.

I don't know if the track windows on a Kitty Kat track will hold up with an adult riding it for vary long. Maybe a track and skid from a newer 120cc kids sled would work I think they are 10 inches wide.

LET'S FIND HOPPY SOME TRACKS :hammer:
I'M GOING TO PUT A WANTED AD ON CRAIGSLIST
THIS BUILD NEEDS TRACKS
AND YES OLDSLEDZ IS RIGHT THE NEWER 120'S HAVE 10" TRACKS

Length is a minor issue to me.......width is a bigger issue. If i went with snowblower tracks i could go one each on the outside or put them side by side on the inside since they are only like 5" wide.........to make a 10" track. I wish the track I currently have had alittle more meet outside the windows. If cut down to 13" it doesnt leave much and then the outside boogies would have nowhere to ride................

I tried craigslist! Not one response.................:shrug:

yep tentioner should be on the front. also if you use a band brake on the clutch it will loosten the chain and possibly let it fly off. so if you run a band on the clutch you shouldnt run any tentioner. I would just shim up the engine since youve got the chain running straight down. Ill keep an eye out for more tracks. I know everybody seems to want them and i see them quite often at the junk yard

Well I thought I was on the right "track".....no pun intended. LOL
Ok so basically everything ive done here is wrong? Im not questioning anyones opinion but on the stand everything I have going on here thus far seems to work very well. I understand im just im rookie. So the reccomendations are move the tensioner to the other side, shim the motor up, ditch the tensioner all together with the band on the clutch. Just when you think your doing it right..................
Made the mount out of some 1" flat bar.

Back to the drawing board.:shrug:

Yoop........PM sent.

yeah, on the stand all might be ok, but under a load, the clutch is going to pull the slack out of the chain and then your going to be loose on the slack side and it may jump etc and may not line up properly on the bottom of the axle gear and then you have a jumped chain in a blink, always tension the non pull side of the chain, that way the driveline pull to axle is always "tight" or slack free

well i say you should shim it up and get as much slack out as you can. Keep the tentioner but put it in front. Its good to have the tentioner on there anyway. its just bolted on looks like an easy fix