Hot Rod HS40-Powered Full Suspension Cat 250

As I was trying to rig the brakes, I found the shock absorbers really didn't clear the linkage very well. I also had an issue with not having as many jack shaft sprocket options as I wanted, and I wanted to go with a #41 clutch. So I cut everything off and started all over again.

I had to get some more 1/4" plate and did some math and came up with a more advantageous layout for JS and swing arm placement in relation to the bearings.

Then I got creative with cutting stuff, and drilling holes and did this.

I also welded on some extra support for the swing arm bolt, because I noticed it was bending with just the two JS plates holding it all.

This is the "Cat" (Taiwan) 4" brake, modified with an Azusa pivot arm, and actuating cam. Also made the swivel piece going to the Azusa arm, because nothing else really worked there. Remember, that is where the shock absorber sits.

Redesigned the upper shock mounts and welded them on.

Here is the new stance with Coker Trials tires, and HOK Kandy red on the wheel stars, rattle can silver on the wheels. Those Cokers are COOL! They barely clear on the front end for you Cat types, and are real close to 4.25" inflated to 20 PSI on a Cat wheel.

Thank you. It is slightly higher in the back now- half a bubble. The Coker Trials are a really neat tire, and if I wasn't making such a prissy little garage queen, the bike would be right at home tearing around tracks with a kid on it.

Great stuff Dave I really like the stance !!

Thank you. It is slightly higher in the back now- half a bubble. The Coker Trials are a really neat tire, and if I wasn't making such a prissy little garage queen, the bike would be right at home tearing around tracks with a kid on it.
Looks fantastic. Do you ever sell any of your stuff? Thanks Dave mark

Looks fantastic. Do you ever sell any of your stuff? Thanks Dave mark
Thanks, and yes, I have sold most of them over the years, as I have more fun restoring than storing.

Edit: And I have never listed a bike on Craigslist, or Ebay. A negative comment was issued by an individual out in CA last year saying as much, so I guess I need to remind any of my lurking detractors of that fact.

Thanks, and yes, I have sold most of them over the years, as I have more fun restoring than storing.

Edit: And I have never listed a bike on Craigslist, or Ebay. A negative comment was issued by an individual out in CA last year saying as much, so I guess I need to remind any of my lurking detractors of that fact.
I would like a shot at one of your builds. Your work is fabulous and I'm not that far away over here in Arizona... I could jump into the truck with emergency funds and head your way LOL mark

Hey Dave what are the inflated height and width of those tires thinking of getting them for my bonanza
Brian, the Rupp Trials Coker 6" tires are advertised at 14 inches tall. I didn't verify, but I'm sure that is about right. Inflated width is 4.25" and that I did measure. I just took the bike for a test ride today after doing all of the modifications I spoke of above. It feels like a much bigger bike, very stable, and I am sure those tires were part of that equation.

I made changes to the jack shaft spacing and arrangement, moved the swing arm, added swing arm bolt supports, and modified rear shock mounts for clearance of brake linkage. Also bought a used Max Torque #41 and 10t sprocket, and rebuilt the clutch and install a higher RPM (green) spring.

I reassembled the bike for about the 14th time, taped on an old seat I had laying around, and took it for a test run. I am extremely happy with how it works, the performance, the handing, the power, and the only complaint I have is that I need more leg room. It feels much bigger than a Cat 250, and feels to me like a mini motorcycle.

The brake has a lot of home made parts, but is essentially a Taiwan Cat 4" unit with a Azusa 5" cam and arm. The Robertson Torque Tube- supplied "baffle" works outstanding! I ran it both quiet and loud, and the effect was stunning. My wife commented on how quiet the bike was, and then I flipped it to open, and it was about twice as loud. It did have some slight effect on performance, but not as radical as needing a jet change.

I'll tear it back down, do some stuff with a sander, and some filler, and paint it most likely HOK kandy red. Not because I want to, but because I have some of that left over. It really should be some racing color like silver or orange. I dunno. Gotta get some stuff chromed on it too, and a seat.

Looks good I like it a lot how fast do you think it is?
LOL, thanks Bryan. Speed is a theoretical 47.63 MPH at 7K RPM. At about 30 MPH, it just loped along, all happy with me on it. I was testing it with a taped on seat, wearing flip flops and shorts, and no clutch guard, so that is as fast as I went. I had a lot of throttle left. It would make a fun little dirt track racer I think.

I made changes to the jack shaft spacing and arrangement, moved the swing arm, added swing arm bolt supports, and modified rear shock mounts for clearance of brake linkage. Also bought a used Max Torque #41 and 10t sprocket, and rebuilt the clutch and install a higher RPM (green) spring.

I reassembled the bike for about the 14th time, taped on an old seat I had laying around, and took it for a test run. I am extremely happy with how it works, the performance, the handing, the power, and the only complaint I have is that I need more leg room. It feels much bigger than a Cat 250, and feels to me like a mini motorcycle.

The brake has a lot of home made parts, but is essentially a Taiwan Cat 4" unit with a Azusa 5" cam and arm. The Robertson Torque Tube- supplied "baffle" works outstanding! I ran it both quiet and loud, and the effect was stunning. My wife commented on how quiet the bike was, and then I flipped it to open, and it was about twice as loud. It did have some slight effect on performance, but not as radical as needing a jet change.

I'll tear it back down, do some stuff with a sander, and some filler, and paint it most likely HOK kandy red. Not because I want to, but because I have some of that left over. It really should be some racing color like silver or orange. I dunno. Gotta get some stuff chromed on it too, and a seat.

That looks fantastic. IT'Z got both vintage and Hi-Tech modern mixed in.. Reminds me of the taco 100b. I love those candy red wheel stars and think candy red will look great on it. When it's done, I want it. Please PM me if it's ever available ..my cell number is 602 488 1298...phxMark

That looks fantastic. IT'Z got both vintage and Hi-Tech modern mixed in.. Reminds me of the taco 100b. I love those candy red wheel stars and think candy red will look great on it. When it's done, I want it. Please PM me if it's ever available ..my cell number is 602 488 1298...phxMark
Thank you again for the kind comments. Your enthusiastic and positive demeanor is appreciated. There is no comparison between my project and the Taco 100B that Joe R. and company is producing. That bike received a lot of R&D by some people who are way better craftsman than I.

Everything I own is for sale. Except this one. I haven't blown enough money on it yet.

Thank you again for the kind comments. Your enthusiastic and positive demeanor is appreciated. There is no comparison between my project and the Taco 100B that Joe R. and company is producing. That bike received a lot of R&D by some people who are way better craftsman than I.

Everything I own is for sale. Except this one. I haven't blown enough money on it yet.
Taco 100b plus 500 cash for your Rupp Kart
ready to roll..seriously. .Mark

Keeping my build thread updated, here is the throttle method I used to get the Mikuni VM22 to work on the HS without knocking the carburetor way out to the side. Thanks to OND for the spiffy manifold. As always, this is in mock up phase, so take no note of fasteners, ugliness, or anything, anything at all, that my be wrong. What I lack in technical expertise, I make up for in posting verbosity.

Elbow from EC that I tried out on a Tilly for a kart. The end beneath the rubber grommet is threaded for the lock nut that holds it in place. I didn't use that, just shoved it in the hole, it fit snug, and I can pull vacuum on the seat there at the throttle cable. Spring holds it all together.

Hey Dave could you call me.. thanks Mark
602 488 1298....

Itype2slo

From time to time I make silly comments without remembering. If I did I apologize. I like your builds.