How do I know what I have?

So I just picked up 3 Briggs motors and a solid frame from a buddy of mine for dirt cheap.. I have yet to really get into em much,but I’ve got a 3.5(currently mounted) that supposedly has spark and compression. A 5 hp flathead that will supposedly fire with a carb clean,and a 6.5 that’s short a gas tank and some oil fill caps. I’m leaning towards the 5 horse considering that’s what i see a lot of guys posting about but could really use some tips or pointers. I’ve also got a mini quad that I’d like to throw something on too. Any suggestions on a fun build? Curious what my options are on a moderate budget.,TIA
#wisco

I got the little quad all torn down today and have been doing a lot of research on the flathead and the ohv. I’d really just like to get a running and riding machine but I went and pulled the 3.5 of off the cart right away too

Harquebus

I think your go kart frame used to have a fiberglass car body and the vertical tubes at the rear would have supported a spoiler. I'm thinking it was probably an Indy or Formula 1 style car. I think a lot of these were built in the 70s and 80s for promotional use, like in front of a store to generate interest and to advertise.

I don't think it was meant for even fun kart use (to handle the abuse and rigors of a child driver) because the materials and workmanship leave a lot to be desired--they were meant for slow speed, low impact occasional use. The steering for example doesn't have real heim joints, but just a bent rod in a hole with a clip on the end for retainment, which is not ideal. I would definitely upgrade the steering with some medium duty hardware (adjustable tie rods and tie rod ends/heim joints) and think about welding in some axle hangers for a live rear axle. The 3.5 HP might be original.

Definitely go with the 5 HP because of the sheer reason of parts availability and upgrades.