How do you carry extra stuff on a long ride?

I have one of the Phony Gas Tank models( tank keeps your legs off of the engine and torque converter cover ) and am wondering what you guys use for a long ride to carry extra gas and stuff? I can take the PGT off and hang some sort of a bag there? or just get a back pack? I'm going to try the bike on a 25 mile trip into the mountains and will need carry a few things to make sure I can get home again.
I've not seen a rack to replace the rear fender or the like.
What say you?

Parts showed up. The original brackets are useless due to the differences between the two bikes. The rack is wider than I'd like but will work.
I redesigned how to mount the rack using 3/16" flat steel to the the frame and am waiting for clamps to show up.
The racks original mounting bracket has been cut off and turned upside down which will make it mount the the fender with no problems when welded back into place.

I cut the mounting bracket off and turned it upside down. This will allow a strong flay mounting surface on the fender.
Here is how it came. the bracket is on top of the bar and angled down. (It is cut off)
rack1.jpg

Here is the bracket upside down. The old weld was ground off before welding.
rack2.jpg

Here it is tack welded on and angled to fit the fender.
rack3.jpg
The fender is not holding the weight of the rack and cargo. It is just keeping the rack level. I an making two supporting legs for the sides of the rack that will attach to the frame of the bike rather than to the rear axle. I don't plan on caring over 25 pounds.
The rack was repainted and is drying waiting for two pipe clamps to show up.

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
looks great. was pretty sure you would need to fab up some different mounts. glad they are working out for you.

The pipe clamps showed up today. Having their dimensions allowed me to make the vertical support legs.
The bikes frame was wrapped with 1/8th inch Garloc rubber under the pipe clamps. The vertical legs are made out of 1 inch wide x 5/16" flat steel. The rack is bolted to the rear fender with 3/8" bolts and washers.
The pipe clams allowed the slight off set of 1/4" from the rack to the frame.
The driven side of the frame is not symmetrical to the rest of the bikes frame and is off-set 1/2". No big deal as the pipe clamps were made for this kind of a problem and bolted right into position.
The pipe frame rack will hold a lot of stuff but I did not care to the "openness" of it and the spacing of the tubing. too much of a chance of the gas can moving around unless many tie-downs were used.
I found a wire basket that would fit perfectly for what I needed to carry. My tools, First Aid kit, GPS, spare chains, emergency cell phone battery pack,water , an air pump and a gallon of gas.
The basket is held in place by twisted wire and is sitting on a piece of conveyor belt material.
The whole thing is very ridged and will hold far more than I will ever carry. The frame of this bike is not like the Coleman CT 200 series of bikes at all. The factory support legs,while well made, will not fit without a lot of modification that was just not worth it to me.
So what I did was:
Purchase the Coleman CT200 rear rack
Remove it's mounting bracket and weld it back on upside down to match the angle of the bikes fender and clear the seat springs.
Purchase two commercial farming field sprinkler head holders. ( heavily plated and come in many sizes.I bought 1" I.D)
Purchase from Home Depot 5/16"x1" steel flat stock. three feet is more than enough to make the vertical legs.
3/8" nut,bolts,washers as needed.
A piece of old conveyor belt to stop any vibrations of the wire basket rubbing on the paint of the deck of the rack..
I spaced the rack off of the rear fender by using a piece of Garloc rubber to keep the frame off of the fender while being installed and measuring the vertical legs.
The wire basket was found at The Salvation Army, but I have seem them for sale at Walmart. It is well made and heavy duty. Many to choose from.
The wire basket is held in place using bailing wire that has been twisted together to increase stregnth. They are secured to the pins welded to the rack for holding cargo down.
Cross tension wires were tightened around the twisted wire loops pulling the rack down and into the conveyor belt, this makes a very secure mounting.
I needed a way to carry the necessities of a long distance ride in my mountains. I now have it.
Thank you for the ideas and links. I do appreciate it.
Here is the completed,mounted rack.
rackA.jpg

view from the rear. notice the spacing rubber. (now removed)
rackB.jpg

Rack fully loaded for what I need to carry.
rackC.jpg
A closer view
rackD.jpg

And once again from the rear. I'm using small bungee cords to hold the bag and a heavy duty rubber strap to hold the gasoline can.
rackE.jpg