How do you remove an HS40 flywheel?

After I've removed the centre nut, do I need a hub pull to remove the fly wheel? Is it keyed, so it only goes on in one position, or do I need to mark its position to stop it from loosing timing?

C9H13NO3

After I've removed the centre nut, do I need a hub pull to remove the fly wheel? Is it keyed, so it only goes on in one position, or do I need to mark its position to stop it from loosing timing?
You don't need to mark the position, it will be fine. As for removing the flywheel, a flatblade screwdriver behind the flywheel prying against the block while tapping on the crankshaft from the flywheel side (thread the nut back on until it is flush with the threads) might do the trick.

bandit 40

If you dont have a puller you can put the nut back on until its flush with the crank end and lightly tap it with a hammer as evenly as possible while prying just a little and it will come off..

I spray pb blaster in there on the shaft and flywheel, and whack it with a rubber malled from the backside wherever you can find a spot. I rotate it slowly. It comesoff, just takes a long time without a puller. Hasn't failed me yet on the H50 or HM80.

the 2 was i get flywheels off is the put a prybar behind the wheel and smack the nut with a hammer . the other i have had to do was prybar behind the wheel and go midevil on the wheel with a hammer . only hit the flywheel with a rubber hammer unless your planning on dieing or scraping the motor .
another trick i have seen but never tried is pry on the wheel and take a air chisel with a round punch and put the point in the dimple on the crank and give it a quick hit . seen vid of it and the thing pops off like nothing flat :shrug:

I use a air hammer with the pointed tip on the end of the crank. and they pop right off with no damage to the flywheel. Be careful with the Tecumseh aluminum flywheel not to break it. There hard to get anymore.
I did this the summer to my Onan 20hp twin engine this summer with a stubborn flywheel that didn't want to come off and it came off quick with the air hammer. It would budge with the flywheel puller i had.

Spend the 8 bucks and buy a Tecumseh flywheel knocker off E bay or at a parts store and they fall off with a few hammer taps and a screwdriver for a prybar . They have two sizes for the Tecumseh engines . I have never damaged the threads on a crank with one .

toomanytoys

I always use a large center punch, and a pry bar, Put the nut on the end of the crank, put the center punch in and give it a few wacks, always fly right off.

To be safe, forget the pry bar. If you don't get the Tec part, go to the hardware and get a "connecter nut"[about 3x as long as a regular nut]. Thread it on til there is 1/16+ clearance to the flywheel, then hit the nut squarely, reasonably hard. Flywheel will pop loose. Pry bar is a bad habit. Sooner or later you will break a flywheel.

To be safe, forget the pry bar. If you don't get the Tec part, go to the hardware and get a "connecter nut"[about 3x as long as a regular nut]. Thread it on til there is 1/16+ clearance to the flywheel, then hit the nut squarely, reasonably hard. Flywheel will pop loose. Pry bar is a bad habit. Sooner or later you will break a flywheel.
connector nut good idea and cheap too .
how do you break a flywheel with a prybar tho ? if your putting that much force on it your doing it wrong .
the way i do it is if the motor is off the frame set it on the bench and use just enough force to almost tip it over and then hit the crank . it dont take much pull just need some pressure .
or a good way for people who have never dont it just grab the back of the flywheel by hand and pull , pushing on the block with your foot ,then hit the end of the crank .

How did you get the nut loose?
Thanks
With a socket:laugh:

To keep it (the motor) from spinning yank the spark plug, jam a piece of old starter rope or clothsline in the hole and turn the motor till it stops. take the nut off, then turn the crank the opposite direction and pull the rope out. works like a charm:thumbsup:

TomH

I guess mine wasn't on that tight, I used a long screwdriver and lightly tapped it between the engine and flywheel. put a socket on the nut with a 2 foot breaker bar. Hit bar with a hammer and the nut came right off. Still had pressure from the screwdriver on one side, tapped another in from the other side to even up the pressure on the flywheel. screwed the nut back on flush with the ends of the threads and poped it with a hammer. Flywheel came right off.

buckeye

And after reading all this you still hit the crank with a hammer and you bung up your threads, you can save it with about 7hrs of gentle fileing, try the nut, file, try the nut, file, try the nut. Saved my crank on my clone after being stupid and hitting the crank with a hammer. Don't do it.

PatrickCraik

You don't need to mark the position, it will be fine. As for removing the flywheel, a flatblade screwdriver behind the flywheel prying against the block while tapping on the crankshaft from the flywheel side (thread the nut back on until it is flush with the threads) might do the trick.
This works good but I use a penny on the end of the crank,the f/w pops right off.

Biffmini

yah what you said!!
Spend the 8 bucks and buy a Tecumseh flywheel knocker off E bay or at a parts store and they fall off with a few hammer taps and a screwdriver for a prybar . They have two sizes for the Tecumseh engines . I have never damaged the threads on a crank with one .

How did you get the nut loose?
Thanks
Stuck nuts can be loosened by turning the engine in its side and spraying the cup with PB Blaster. Let it soak a while. The rust may loosen up and the nut breaks free. If it's still stuck, drain out the Blaster, take a propane torch and heat the nut. It expands and breaks free. PB Blaster burns and it stinks, so be careful. Then, a 3/4 socket and breaker bar. You need to figure out a way to keep the flywheel from spinning, and the rope trick is a good idea. I always clamp the engine down so I get better leverage.