How do you upgrade your band brake stopping power?

Hey, so I have an early 90’s Carter Brothers 2336 ZX 2 seater go kart that has a sealed live axle and a band / drum brake. Maybe with a stock motor that would have been sufficient however, I put a built Predator 212 on it with a 20 series torque converter. With that being said, that braking system just doesn’t stop the kart like it should especially if I’m getting on it and need to brake for any reason. My question to you all with the experience and wisdom is: how can I beef up this style of braking system to fit my needs? As aforementioned, it has a sealed live axle so I do not believe there is a way to put a hydraulic pad and rotor style system on it not to mention the additional cost for that type of system. So, what are some ways to enhance/upgrade the existing system that I have? Thanks so much in advance for any assistance you all are able to provide. Have a great day and motor on!!!

Last edited:

Cuda54

You can check to see if you have any gap when you pull the cable back and push band tight. You might just need a new brake band too. Look and see if the brake band has glazed over or the drum.

Hey, so I have an early 90’s Carter Brothers 2336 ZX 2 seater go kart that has a sealed live axle and a band / drum brake. Maybe with a stock motor that would have been sufficient however, I put a built Predator 212 on it with a 20 series torque converter. With that being said, that braking system just doesn’t stop the kart like it should especially if I’m getting on it and need to brake for any reason. My question to you all with the experience and wisdom is: how can I beef up this style of braking system to fit my needs? As aforementioned, it has a sealed live axle so I do not believe there is a way to put a hydraulic pad and rotor style system on it not to mention the additional cost for that type of system. So, what are some ways to enhance/upgrade the existing system that I have? Thanks so much in advance for any assistance you all are able to provide. Have a great day and motor on!!!
This might work,it does for me. Fill a Straw with baking soda and blow it into the drum. Then ride and hard brake a few times then repeat..the more in there the better.. it roughs up a glazed pad and or drum..an old Karter showed me the trick years ago...phxMark