How far have you gone for that hard to find part?

I just got back from driving 430 miles round trip through two big cities in the snow for an exhaust pipe, shield and some other parts. Even made a stop on the way to trade a Cheeftah roller for some Taco and Bonanza parts.

This was the last piece needed to complete the restoration of the Allis Chalmers Gilson I had when I was a kid:clap: I have been searching for years and got close a couple times. I couldn't find anyone willing to loan me one to make a pattern and even Mac didn't have one.

Big shout out to Rocco for his expert advice on navigating the Windy City...Thanks again:thumbsup:

i have never went that far, they couldnt ship? oh well, you got what you wanted, and made it home safe.
He got a whole bike with that exhaust plus another frame. :rolleyes:

Sucks I couldn't make the ride down there with you. Too bad you couldn't hang around longer. Glad you made it home safe.

paulhew

Congratulations f150tilt!! Sure feels good when it's all said and done!!

I did about the same amount for a kawasaki coyote, the woman had a picture of it with a bunch of stuff in a garage sale, said she would not sell it till the garage sale the next day at 7am .:cursing: the next day my daughter had my car and my wife had the other. The next morning I took off on my bike POURING RAIN 2.5 hrs one way , bought the coyote and asked her to hold it. Drove home got the car came back and got the bike!!!
THE THINGS YOU DO FOR LOVE HAHA!!

I've driven farther than I want to admit for a single part. Hell, my Flexo was only one state away and it was still over five hours:doah: Did you get that bike from Gustavo? I have been watching it for a while and thought about it but I don't need any more Gilsons. Great score Craig, looks like it had a lot of good parts. Too bad about the tail light lens though...

Yes I got it from Gustavo, we talked mini-bikes for a while which always fun...very nice guy.

I did find a taillight lens a while back so I will have to learn how to mold some new ones.

Wasn't exactly a whole bike since it had no rims...and no clutch cover. Got the taco wheel, trailblazer and bonanza forks from SimpleTom which I need for other projects. The extra Gilson frame is in very nice condition and has the driven. I worked on the Terra Floater today so didn't have time to mess with this one.

15000 km :laugh::laugh:everthing i need i have to get from the States:laugh::laugh:
Must be really rewarding to go the extra mile and get what you need:thumbsup:

15000 km :laugh::laugh:everthing i need i have to get from the States:laugh::laugh:
Must be really rewarding to go the extra mile and get what you need:thumbsup:
It is a relief and rewarding...Except now I can't use the "I don't have all the parts" excuse to why I haven't started on the restoration:doah:

toomanytoys

Furthest I drove for a minibike was 462 miles and 8 hours round trip for a minibike. That was almost too much for me. We drove forever it seemed.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
1865 miles round trip ! To get that $500.00 part, ya just don't want to buy without seeing it first.

Plus, picked up more than I knew about while I was there.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Yep, 3 days and two sleeps on the side of the road. Rented a trailer for on the way back & had to do repairs. ( lost my brakes ) !

matt2

I know it is only a hop skip and a jump, I'm doing a two hour run today to pick up my new sweet mini. Check out strictly US vintage later today to see it. This is going to be my nicest original mini I own. I'm hoping it's all original anyway, you guys will let me know.
:scooter: