How good are the TAV knockoffs?

Are the knockoffs as good as a genuine Comet TAV?
Are they able to use Comet parts?
Is the Comet worth the price premium over the knockoff?
There is a huge price difference between Comet and the knockoff.
There is even a huge price difference the knockoffs sold by different sellers.

I don't want to spend a ton, but I don't want to buy a piece of junk, either.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I've found the knockoffs on Ebay for $99.00 and up.
A seller in my home state has them from about $110.

This one is $99.99.3 4" Go Kart Torque Converter CVT Clutch Replaces Comet TAV2 30 75 218353A TAV 2 | eBay

Only thing is, it states that it comes with a 10 tooth 41/40 sprocket or a 12 tooth 35 sprocket.
I don't see anything on there that tells me how to make sure I get the 10 tooth 41/40 sprocket that I need, instead of the 12 tooth 35 sprocket I don't need.
I don't know if I'm rolling the dice and could get the wrong sprocket with it and have to buy the right one separately.
I wonder if I'd be better off buying this one?3 4" Go Kart Torque Converter CVT Clutch Replaces Comet TAV2 30 75 218353A TAV 2 | eBay

I'd prefer to buy from OldMiniBikes if possible, but funds are limited.
$40 + shipping is about half the price of a predator 212 (on sale at HF right now).

Last edited:
If you are running it on a Predator or clone, use the knock off. Buy a spare belt. Free shipping at OldMiniBikes over $99....:)

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Last edited:
Thanks.
Just caught the video about adding the TC to a Baja with an un-drilled/tapped crankshaft.
Guess I'd better wait until I can remove the cover and find out which crank mine has.

I've bought to TAV2 knock-offs recently for our two DB30R's. Both from the same link on Amazon, about 3 weeks apart, but they sold and shipped from totally different locations. The first one did not have the extra fin on the jackshaft backing plate that interferes with the motor, it bolted up perfectly, but the second one had the extra fin that needed to be cut off. The second one also had a belt that is 1/4" shorter than the first belt - it's so tight that you have to force it onto the drive shaft, and it clearly runs way too much friction to function correctly. I've had to order another belt.

so it seems like quality can be pretty hit and miss!

That's the same link I used. First time I bought it sent the part from "Auto Express Parts", that was the one that had the right belt and the back plate fit the motor perfectly. Second one I bought came from "GoPower Sports", which had the short belt and backing plate needing a fin cut off. Currently the link is listing "Auto Express Parts" again, so that would hopefully mean the better of the two kits!

Thanks for the quick replies.
I've found the knockoffs on Ebay for $99.00 and up.
A seller in my home state has them from about $110.

This one is $99.99.3 4" Go Kart Torque Converter CVT Clutch Replaces Comet TAV2 30 75 218353A TAV 2 | eBay

Only thing is, it states that it comes with a 10 tooth 41/40 sprocket or a 12 tooth 35 sprocket.
I don't see anything on there that tells me how to make sure I get the 10 tooth 41/40 sprocket that I need, instead of the 12 tooth 35 sprocket I don't need.
I don't know if I'm rolling the dice and could get the wrong sprocket with it and have to buy the right one separately.
I wonder if I'd be better off buying this one?3 4" Go Kart Torque Converter CVT Clutch Replaces Comet TAV2 30 75 218353A TAV 2 | eBay

I'd prefer to buy from OldMiniBikes if possible, but funds are limited.
$40 + shipping is about half the price of a predator 212 (on sale at HF right now).
Comes with both sprockets.

I was quoting directly from the Ebay link. That would be a good selling point. You should put that in each description that unlike the competitors yours includes both.