How long can a clone last?

So im in the middle of saving up some money to build a clone to put into my bonanza mx project bike. My question is how long will these clone motors last with some mods? I'm thinking a cam billet rod and flywheel smaller head 22mm mikuni etc.... Im hoping this can be a great reliable motor for years of use. Any opinions? And yes i know that changing the oil frequently can make a huge difference

And yes i know that changing the oil frequently can make a huge difference
Bingo !!!! :thumbsup: We've been running the same clone engine for about 5 years now, its on a racing go kart and turns about 6300 rpms all night long ..every other weekend. Engine has not been bored out yet. :wink: JMO

Are you planning on racing this bike? If not, I'd recommend just some mild mods. The billet parts are certainly of better craftsmanship than the stock parts. However, the smaller head and carb probably aren't needed. You can probably get around 7000 rpms (maybe more) with a simple cam, rod, and flywheel. You'll have to adjust your jetting and open the exhaust up a bit, but it'll still fly. Going 50 on a mini feels pretty sketchy. I have a somewhat heavily modded clone wth many of the mods you mentioned, and it's crazy. However, I am also running a mostly stock 212 on my DB30, and it is plenty fast enough. I've been riding bikes of all sizes for a long time, and the DB has actually thrown me off! The only mods I've done to it are a rejet and a little more open exhaust. I'd recommend starting off with just the billet bits and a cam. If you order the Black Mamba, you'll get 26lb springs with it. I have a CM cam from Dyna Cams, and it's awesome. I'm only running 18lb springs with mine. I am getting 8000 rpms out of it consistently. Check out a speed calculator and see what 7000 rpms will do on your bike. You might be happy without investing the money in the carb, carb adapter, and head. That will probably save you at least a hundred bucks, if not more. And I'm guessing you'll get more life out of your motor without all of the mods.

Not really going to be racing but i could race it from time to time. I really just want a fast rider bike. I dont mind spending a extra $100 or so on the carb setup. This is kinda what i had in mind for mods
-longer billet rod (+.020?)
-18cc head
-22mm mikuni
-billet flywheel
-champion rockers
-26 pound springs
-possibly oversized valves
-black mamba jr cam
-a nice header

I had the original clone engine on the trike I sold Hent that was 5 years old. It was running fine even after he checked the oil and there wasnt any... Clones run on magic. They don't need oil or gas... Lol:laugh:

Clone.
212 Hemi

Use the 18cc head.
Use the Monda jr cam with 18 pound springs ( as per Tim's recomedation ).
Honda valves and hardware if you are careful should be ok
Billet flywheel and rod ( + .020 and the correct gasket fo a tight .030 quench )
18cc head will have Honda rockers good enough, so are Honda push rods for 18 pound springs.

That is a cheap as I feel can be made reliable.

Clone.
212 Hemi

Use the 18cc head.
Billet flywheel and rod ( + .020 and the correct gasket fo a tight .030 quench )
18cc head will have Honda rockers good enough, so are Honda push rods for 18 pound springs.

What would you suggest to use for a carb?

Nothing wrong with the carb thats on it.
Its a very cheap and easy starting place just adjust your jetting.

You should keep things simple first time.
Later you can add things as you desire them.
Alright i suppose i could always upgrade it but i would rather do it the first time. I've just heard that tuning stock carbs can be a pain and im somewhat familiar with the mikunis

Clone.
212 Hemi

Use the 18cc head.

what kind of power can one expect out of this combo?

That's like asking how far a bird will fly. There is no possible way of knowing how long a motor will last. Too many variables even with a mild build. And if anyone tells you different....they obviously don't know what they are talking about. Good luck with your build.

Ok im just hoping i can get a few good years of use outta this engine mildly built. I'm not gonna be running racing fuel or anything crazy like that just a nice reliable quick gas bike

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
as with any motor build. getting it put together correctly, keeping good oil and fresh gas in it, and proper maintenance. it should last many years. just don't abuse it. I am building a hemi myself and all im doing for now is a good header, air cleaner kit and a rejet. this should be good enough on the trike I am replacing a worn out briggs 5hp. with. :shrug: