How to fix bent axle tubes

Any way you fix this?

I just crashed my bike and bent the rear axle pretty bad. I cut the axle out and got it out pretty quick. Now I’m having trouble getting these tubes straight. I’ve tried hitting them back into place but I figured I’d ask here if anyone has some advice before hitting them too hard. IMG_1489.jpeg IMG_1490.jpeg I know the bike probably won’t ride the same even if I get them relatively straight but I want to try and salvage the frame as best I can. Thank you!

Get an old school tire iron or a strong 5/8 steel bar about 24 inches or longer. Insert it in one side and bend the tube until the bar lines up with the other tube. Keep going back and forth, slowly bending each tube until that bar slides through both tubes.
It looks like you may need wheel bearings too.
I hope nobody got hurt.

Get an old school tire iron or a strong 5/8 steel bar about 24 inches or longer. Insert it in one side and bend the tube until the bar lines up with the other tube. Keep going back and forth, slowly bending each tube until that bar slides through both tubes.
I hope nobody got hurt.
That’s what I thought would be the best, no one got hurt luckily. The little bolt connecting the brake lever to the arm for my scrub brake popped off somehow (i hadn’t thought to check if they were tightened fully before riding) so i lost brakes and had to ditch the bike and it hit a curb and flipped. No other damage except for this and the axle. Really hoping I can bend them back.

If you don't get in a hurry, maybe you can save those tubes. If you have access to a small welder, you should probably weld them to the frame a little more solidly.
It is probably a great idea to look into upgrading your brake system to a disc while you have everything apart.

I hope nobody got hurt.
Wouldn't it be better to heat it up with oxy/acet before trying to bend it back?

Maybe it would, but the KISS principle is preferred in some instances.;)
Some folks don't have a shop full of tools. The tubes do not look bent, just the frame where the tubes are welded, and I don't see any good things coming from heating that frame to move those tubes back in line.
Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Last edited:

nightgrider

I hope nobody got hurt.
I second the 5/8 bar. You can pick up 5/8 round stock pretty easy and inexpensively at most hardware stores. I keep various bars and pipes around to use as levers. Just used some black pipe I had around to straighten push mower axels the other day.

"Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world." - Archimedes