How To Make Mini Bike Street Legal?

I was just curious are you able to make the mini bikes street legal, I have a Baja Warrior and I was wondering if anyone has made one street legal before?

If so I'm assumming you need, Horn, Lights, Tag Plate, Turning Signal etc..? The regular stuff like on a motorcycle.
I am in Wichita, KS.

Well I was just curious so I thought I would ask.

Also mine is a 196CC, Here in Kansas and pretty sure a lot of other states you can drive a scooter 49cc on the street. Would you be able to do that to a 49CC doodlebug or other variant? Of course as long as you had to right safety features.

Shelby, :scooter:

Mr X

im not too sure but on tv all those motorcycle shows all the bikes they made had a stop light and a headlight. no turn signals or horn or anything so why would a minibike need those? but i dont live in the states and i dont know all the rules of the road there.

there is no 49cc Doodlebug.

if you can manage to get it registered it probably won't be easy. if you haven't noticed, almost no one on here has a street legal one (that i know of) that didn't come that way factory.

Well there is 2 ways that I know....at least in MI

Either try to pass it off as a moped, in which you probably just need lights and mirrors.

Or try to register it as a motorcycle since the engine displacement is higher then 50cc. This requires some additional things like DOT approved tired which I was never able to find for a 6" wheel bike.

I do not believe either requires turn signals and there are universal hand/arm signals that motorcyclists can use instead of turn signals.

oldfatguy

I wouldn't even want to try to ride a full size motorcycle on the road here in NJ. Some yuppie late for work will just run right over you and then try to sue you for scratching his car.

Riley

in my neighborhood we have a patrol officer that has pulled me over saying that i was "too fast for the sidewalk"
so i ask if i can ride on the street.
then he said i need turn signals

so i made my own and spent about 20$ on them total.
hes just a rent-a-cop
he now gives me dirty looks

im not too sure but on tv all those motorcycle shows all the bikes they made had a stop light and a headlight. no turn signals or horn or anything so why would a minibike need those? but i dont live in the states and i dont know all the rules of the road there.[/QUOT

Most of the bikes built on TV are not street legal.:doah:

I found this in the Motorcycle Operator Manual on the Michigan site.

At minimum, your street-legal
motorcycle should have:
• Headlight, taillight and
brakelight.
• Front and rear brakes.
• Turn signals.
• Horn.
• Two mirrors.

On the other hand here is the form that is needed to get filled out to register one

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

and it does not list turn signals as an item to be inspected

Last edited:

Oldsalt

In Washington I was able to registure a 1947 Doodlebug as a motorcycle. The lady at the vehicle registration desk at the local court house phoned Olympia [the state capitol] for guideance. She had a frown on her face. I went there prepared. Had the little mini inspected by the DMV/Highway Patrol and got a paper listing the serial numbers on the frame and the numbers on the engine. The nice lady, true to form for minor funtionaries, did everything possible to stymy the process. But to no avail. The great state of Washington had a listing for the post war Doodlebugs that said they were at one time licenced for the street as factory equiped. Took the better part of 20 minutes. However, as it is a vehicle that did not originally have turn signals it will go on the street with only head and tail lights and ONE rear view mirror. No stupid worthless turn signals and bozo mirrors. When the registration was complete the nice lady, as a parting shot, said "You will need a motorcycle certification on your drivers license to operate it". As it is over 125 cc I can even legally operate it on a highway. It's a motorcycle! But around town is all it will get.

So, my advice is to acquire a mini, it will be a vintage one, that was offered, back then, from the factory with lights that were legal, back then, and allowed that particular model to be regerested for operation on the street, back then. All you will need is a frame with numbers. Put a vintage engine and wheels and bars on it, if there's non there. You must show a [appearent] complete machine, not just a frame or collection of parts in the back of a pik-up truck. Get a signed, dated bill of sale the states the make, model, year, and serial numbers of frame AND engine. Go to DMV and with a straight face tell them you have a bill of sale but the guy that sold it to you long ago lost the original title. They [most states anyway] will inspect the machine and "run a make" on the numbers to see if it is stolen. If no red flag they will fill out a form that allows you to registure it. Here in Washington the state will registure it in your name but will not issue a "title" in your name until three years pass. That's not a problem. If no one claims it during that time it's yours to request "perminate" title. But you will be riding it on the street right after you get it registured in your name.

What is needed is for a learned mini bike historian to compile a list of the makes and models that were originally registureable way back then. Armed with that list a guy could fine a described machine and strut down to the Highway Patrol/DMV and show them your stuff. I'm telling you that all that is really necessary is the proper vintage frame with numbers. You can put on whatever era engine and wheel that suit you for the registration process. I used the engine that I fully intend on useing on the completed machine. how about it guys? Does anyone feel qualified to start a list of minis that were at one time licensenable?

I have not yet got my antique Doodlebug ready to ride. I have been looking for enough original parts to completely restore the little girl. But I now have grave doubts that three grand won't be enough loot to get the job done. They are availabe but none of it is cheap when you find it. So it's beginning to look like I'll end up with a "resto' machine that will fool all but the trained eye of a Doodlebug collector. I can hardly wait to show up at my favorite biker watering hole with my Doodlebug.

I'm working on making my Baja Warrior street legal here in Michigan so I can cruise around town and use the trail connectors too. From what I understand I will need to have a headlight with high and low beams, turn signals, brake light, front and rear brakes, one mirror on the left hand side, a horn and DOT approved tires. Also it has to be able to go at least 30mph on a level surface, I've got that taken care of with the TAV30 I just installed.

I'm working on getting the lights and brakes made up right now, I hope to have it on the road come spring. The really nice part is insurance, only $19 a month from Progressive.:thumbsup:

And I'm gonna take my motorcycle test with it, that should be a lot easier than doing it with a full size bike.

Oldsalt

mgregg85
Don't fail tro let us know what hoops you have to jump through when you get face to face with the idiot on the other side of the counter at DMV. It will for sure be helpful for others in your state.

If anyone ever finds DOT tires for a 6" wheel make sure you post where you got them from. I could never find them. I wanted to make my TT500 street legal :(

Oldsalt

Stang
I'm sure all states don't require DOT approved tires to be street legal. When I lived Californicate twenty years ago it was not necessary, don't know about now but the idiots that run that state are likely to lower themselves to any stupidity. Here in Washington I know it is not necessary.