How to "re-shape" tires

jspbtown

So I picked up a couple of new tires (145/70-6) tires for the new Dirt Bug project and they came all deformed in the box. Normally I guess I would try to put them out in the sun but its pretty cold here now and the sun is still pretty low so what are some other suggestions?

I have them in front of my space heater in my office for the past couple of days and its not really helping. I am afraid they are not going to come anywhere near the bead when I try to go mount them.

Put the tubes in the tires and blow them up. Then just put in the sun for a day or two. Be careful with those tires by the heater. I did that in a small heated space that my cat sleeps and the fumes made her very I'll. The fumes were bad from the rubber. Who knows what China puts in the rubber.

jspbtown

Couple of issues....first there is some sun but its pretty darn cold out. And given the angle of the sun I really don't even have a room that I get a lot of sunlight in (surrounded by woods). Second is that I don't have tubes for them.

Hmmm....maybe I might have a couple of old tubes out in the shop...I will check!

Put the tubes in the tires and blow them up. Then just put in the sun for a day or two. Be careful with those tires by the heater. I did that in a small heated space that my cat sleeps and the fumes made her very I'll. The fumes were bad from the rubber. Who knows what China puts in the rubber.
145/70-6 tires like OP has aren't tubed.

jspbtown

"Just put them on the wheel. "

My concern is that I will not be able to get the bead to set to the rim in order to inflate them

Tire shops know lots of tricks to seat tubeless tires. It might pay off to see a pro about this.

Two weeks ago I received a new tube-type 6" dia. tire that was quite deformed. Upon mounting and inflation it immediately assumed the correct shape and now seems fine.

Last edited:

I74

Put the tubes in the tires and blow them up. Then just put in the sun for a day or two. Be careful with those tires by the heater.
That's what I do too,, & works pretty slick,, especially when mounting them while they are still warm.. ;)
Sometimes I don't even have to use spoons ect. when they are still warm from the sun. :cool:

Haven't had any problems with having them by heaters either,, just got to turn them periodically,, & also ''not'' laying or resting right on them.

I don't bring them in the house period though,, if they are stinky. :eek:

I

Last edited:

Broke Joke

I have used a ratchet strap in the past (around the circumference of the tire) Crank it down until the beads get close on both sides, then start to inflate CAREFUL when it starts to take air and bead up .... immediately release the strap.

Roll up a piece of paper. Spray the tire with engine starter fluid. Light rolled up paper. While airing the tire hit the lit paper to the tire. Boom it will bead up. Used this many times to mount 620s on Dayton's or slicks on mags. Wear some eye protection unless you think eyebrows are overated