How to slow/stop rust under fenders

Triley41395

Just curious what most do to the underside of your fenders. I'd like to try and stop the rust under my fenders so that they might last another 50 years. I could sandblast and paint, use undercoating, I know POR is pretty good stuff. Aside from re-chroming what do most of you do. I'm thinking just sand and throw some primer on them. 20220625_074733.jpg

2old2care

For a low buck approach, just sand, prime with Rustoleum red rust primer, and paint with some enamel - If you wanted to keep stones, etc from wearing the paint, then add some rubberized undercoat, or bed liner stuff, to that. But paint first, to get the rust fixed, if you want the undercoat to stick.

You can also kill the rust without harming the top chrome, by using an oxalic acid bath - This really works - I have done it.
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

You can also use citric acid:
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=121049

If you remove rust from chrome with acid, you'll need to use a good wax on it at a minimum, and keep it out of the weather, or the rust will return.

An electrolysis tank would get rid of the rust and then you could just paint it. I'm not sure if that would ruin the chrome that's on it though. Electrolysis works awesome for getting rid of rust.

Triley41395

I think I'm gonna try a combination of a couple of these. I have to find out first if powder coating heat will hurt the top chrome. If not I think I will blast and powder coat followed by some rubberized under coating for noise reducing. I'm only going to do this to the underside, I would like to keep the top chrome.
Thank you all for the input. Screenshot_20220626-081540_Gallery.jpg

Bird Brain

Spray flex seal coating underside after removing as much rust as possible. Protects and dampens rock chipping would be my thinking. Powder coat option is good to when done correctly. Its Tuff stuff.

Triley41395

That came out really nice. I am going to try and leave the top original chrome but it's a bit worse than I thought. I did clean the underside with 0000 steel wool, taped off the top and primed them,I had planned on undercoating them before I reassemble the bike. When I removed the tape alot of the chrome came with it. It's just kind of flaking off. Not sure what I'm going to do now if anything. I didn't want to power coat the tops but I might paint them now, still undecided.