How would i get these wheels looking nice?

I have this set of hexstar rims that are in rough cosmetic shape. Couple questions:
what would you personally do to get them looking nice again if they were yours?
I have seen some white stuff caked on them, is this corrosion? i have evaporust but not sure if its rust.
What metal are these made of, & what is the coating?
How would i remove those bearings?
I am fairly new to restoring or fixing up mini bikes so any help or pointers is always appreciated

2017-05-09-13-08-57-995.jpg 2017-05-09-13-08-40-187.jpg

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Knock the bearings out from the inside of the wheel half issuing a punch or a deep well socket, or whatever you've got that'll work. You can media blast the aluminum, or write brush them, etc. There is a member here that can burnish polish those wheels to look like new for a price. Check the for sale section for details

Flip the wheel half over and find a socket that fits down the hole and put a extension and use a hammer to tap the bearings out. Then look in the parts for sale section for the ball barnish and send the wheels to him.

You can media blast the aluminum,
Having them glass bead blasted is also an option ... Or hand polishing
Glass is the only media you want to use on those :thumbsup: If you cant find anyone local to do it for you at a reasonable price I will do it for you, just pay the shipping round trip :thumbsup: Be carful knocking the bearing out of the one with the broken bolt it looks to have some cracks in the bead wall already :doah:

Glass is the only media you want to use on those :thumbsup: If you cant find anyone local to do it for you at a reasonable price I will do it for you, just pay the shipping round trip :thumbsup: Be carful knocking the bearing out of the one with the broken bolt it looks to have some cracks in the bead wall already :doah:
I may take you up on that:) n i pounded out the bearings just fine a little bit ago. It does look like cracked in the pictures but its actually scratches in the coating. Which i still dont know what the coating is. I cant tell if its paint or another type of metal but it looks silverish & is flaking off in some spots.