How would I make a predator 212 look vintage?

Harquebus

...I've got some ideas how you could make a predator look more vintage, but in all honestly it would end up costing more to put together than just buying a period correct flathead Tecumseh or Briggs. So unless I just stumble across some parts engines for free. I'll probably never piece together that build.
The only other halfway suitable modern engine I can think of is one of the Honda GC series. The cylinder arrangement is completely vertical but the exhaust is "quirky" in that it is directed forward or on the wrong side. I've seen people do a 180° exhaust pipe on them however.

Not only are they overhead valve engines, they're overhead cam (with a timing belt no less)....

nightgrider

The only other halfway suitable modern engine I can think of is one of the Honda GC series. The cylinder arrangement is completely vertical but the exhaust is "quirky" in that it is directed forward or on the wrong side. I've seen people do a 180° exhaust pipe on them however.

Not only are they overhead valve engines, they're overhead cam (with a timing belt no less)....

I've got one of those in my garage right now. Planning to use it on another frame I'm building.

cfh

If you're in Michigan you should have *no* problem finding a good Tecumseh flat head. I just got one a couple weeks ago for *free* off facebook. And got one a few weeks ago at the junk yard for $20. Both were HS50 models, which are great for mini bikes. Right now, before the snow comes, is the best time to get an old $25 to $75 used snowblower with a Tecumseh flat head.

desert rat

1628082963748.png I cant copy yours right to blow up maybe you can repost it here

What I did was cut off the cable mount and re-weld it back at the proper angle/ direction to be used to pull the control lever. Then I loosened the lever so it would move freely and cut off the extra. This is the most common control plate found on the GC motors. There is a correct control plate but I have not had the time to track it down, it was easier when I worked for Honda.

Attachments

Last edited:

nightgrider

View attachment 281023 I cant copy yours right to blow up maybe you can repost it here

What I did was cut off the cable mount and re-weld it back at the proper angle/ direction to be used to pull the control lever. Then I loosened the lever so it would move freely and cut off the extra. This is the most common control plate found on the GC motors. There is a correct control plate but I have not had the time to track it down, it was easier when I worked for Honda.
Thanks for sharing that is a really good idea.

nightgrider

Do you know of anyone selling these decals ?
You print them out on regular printer paper. Glue them on to the engine with a quality adhesive. And clear coat them with a clear automotive enamel. Or they sell water slide ink jet paper than you can print them out on and clear coat for that route. Either way do a few very light coats of clear at first or the printer ink will run.

Lose the big plastic air box and try to mount a vintage Briggs filter housing on it. Short hot dog muffler straight out the rear and find or build a box that looks like a stock Briggs tank to hang on the rear of the engine to hide your ugly OHV head and valve cover.