How would I make a predator 212 look vintage?

I am thinking of putting a predator 212 on an old mini bike but, i want to do a restoration on the bike. I want the power of a 212, but the look of an old vintage bike. Does anyone know of any good ideas of making a 212 look vintage?

I want to put a flathead on it but all of these old Briggs, and Tecumsehs rarely come up for sale around me. The original motor was a 5hp Clinton Briggs but its too far gone but, there are usually a few cheap used predators for sale near me usually.

Lizardking

I want to put a flathead on it but all of these old Briggs, and Tecumsehs rarely come up for sale around me. The original motor was a 5hp Clinton Briggs but its too far gone but, there are usually a few cheap used predators for sale near me usually.
If you still have the original or period correct engine then it's worth a shot fixing it. You can find the parts with a little effort by searching your local classifieds for lawn edgers, mowers, snow blowers ect. You can also post a WANTED ad here on OldMiniBikes. You'll be surprised what people can still fix and get running. Where there's a will there's a way..

Last edited:

Lizardking

If you're not the "do it yourself" type of person to fix the og engine and want the old vintage look then all white 212cc and the decals posted above is the way to go. Just look at what engine color most vintage mini bikes came with, black or white.. Imo

Last edited:

nightgrider

This thread has the gears in my head turning. The best of course would be to just get a flathead briggs or tecumseh. But I understand in some areas those are not as easy to come by, it is similar in my area. Second best option is painting white as others have mentioned. Those custom decals are pretty cool and would help sell the vintage look. Now if you want to go full hog on a vintage style predator, but the most work. Would be mounting the engine so the cylinder is more vertical, painting the cover white, and retrofitting a tecumseh pull cord assembly, briggs or tecumseh airbox, and a briggs or tecumseh snow blower style gas tank. This of course would take a decent amount of fabrication and time to plan it out. Could look pretty cool though. Here's a picture for how a 212 looks when mounted vertically.

Attachments

There is no way to make a backwards facing OHV engine look vintage. I don't care how much stuff you bolt on, it will always be facing backwards, and anyone who notices you have a vintage bike in the first place, will notice you have a Chinese engine on it.

So just roll with it. Nothing wrong with making a machine go. Of course you will be a traitor to the sport, and guys like me with a purist attitude will laugh at you, as you pass us by at half throttle. :scooter: But trying to fake it is worse than using the engine in the first place. LOL.

There was a member here a few years ago, did a green Cat 250 with a Predator on it, and mounted the engine backwards, so it faced forward. He then fabricated a gear box to run the drive backwards. Last time he posted, he was having some trouble with it, as they were helical cut gears and the entire affair was complicated. But the engine looked good like that.

Note that you can make these flat heads run much better. Many of us have done that, Briggs is the easiest, since there are a lot of aftermarket parts available thanks to karting. Also, some of the guys on here have made some very strong big blocks, but they are more knowledgeable than I. Ole4 and Delray to name a couple.

nightgrider

I just like the idea as an interesting "what's possible". It wouldn't fool anyone, but I don't think that's the goal. Just to make a predator look more at home in a vintage frame, instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. I agree painting it white and rolling with it is the best option.

mustangfrank

This thread has the gears in my head turning. The best of course would be to just get a flathead briggs or tecumseh. But I understand in some areas those are not as easy to come by, it is similar in my area. Second best option is painting white as others have mentioned. Those custom decals are pretty cool and would help sell the vintage look. Now if you want to go full hog on a vintage style predator, but the most work. Would be mounting the engine so the cylinder is more vertical, painting the cover white, and retrofitting a tecumseh pull cord assembly, briggs or tecumseh airbox, and a briggs or tecumseh snow blower style gas tank. This of course would take a decent amount of fabrication and time to plan it out. Could look pretty cool though. Here's a picture for how a 212 looks when mounted vertically.
You're in Michigan and you find it difficult to buy flathead engines? You aren't trying! :)

nightgrider

You're in Michigan and you find it difficult to buy flathead engines? You aren't trying! :)
Find them for a good price, that is. ;) As I stated I think it is just a fun exercise is "what's possible". Not here to hate on anything. Mini bikes are all about having fun and that has different definitions to different people. :D

Last edited:

nightgrider

I think with the right accents (gas tank, exhaust, pull cord, airbox, paint, and decals if desired) one could make a predator engine appear more vintage. It wouldn't deceive anyone into thinking that it was truly vintage, but wouldn't stick out as much as a stock black predator in a vintage bike frame.

I ended up finding a Gx160 for really cheap so i ended up buying it and when I went to see how it mounts, everything mounted pretty good until the valve cover ended up running into the brake mount so, I guess ill have to keep looking for another motor. But thanks for the advice.