hs-50 d shaped intake port.

yes. and i looked up the hs-40 and i can't fined a good exploded view to see if rupp has the roller bearing. the 40 is being stripped down. gonna get the valves and seats cut on both at the same time with one trip to the machine shop.anthony

Attachments

yes. and i looked up the hs-40 and i can't fined a good exploded view to see if rupp has the roller bearing. the 40 is being stripped down. gonna get the valves and seats cut on both at the same time with one trip to the machine shop.anthony
Pretty sure the Rupps had the bearing and a longer crank?

delray

rupp hs40 i bought for the flywheel is not to bad. bore has no groves but has a heavy glaze but i measures. 2.625. probably just hone and re ring. valves are another story. intake has a little slop exhaust guide just as bad as my hs50. they have the same valves so i will buy a another set. had no spark put in points and condenser getting intermitting spark. the kill wire is disconnected and i pulled the coil off no frayed or shorted wires. clean every ground piont and wire lug still intermitting spark. bad coil im sure of it. spun it over with my drill and both legs of the lighting coil are fine. im very satisfied with it. theres a picture of new flywheel next to the big steal beast. anthony
if you decide to just re-ring and hone that motor out only. Tecumseh manuals will say to use a 390 grit stone. 390 grit you may not find? but 400 grit will work just fine.

remember if it is a bearing sidecover and it won't come off, to pull the seal and remove the retaining ring on the crank.
ole i am familiar with the snap ring as my hs50 has the bearing. i planed on taking the cover of today and got sidetracked. the exhaust stud about a inch and a half long and locking nut gave me hell. it had epoxy on the block threads and the lock nut. heating it up did not work. i wound up fitting a drill shank in the stud so the stud would not get crushed and clamped two vise grips on opposite each other and managed to remove it without cracking the block. now im looking for the correct ball type hone that will do both my hs40 and hs50 any ideas. anthony.

Attachments

if you decide to just re-ring and hone that motor out only. Tecumseh manuals will say to use a 390 grit stone. 390 grit you may not find? but 400 grit will work just fine.
delray. i did not see your post. i was going to pull the side cover off and ran into a snag. the bore measured out perfectly. if the piston looks good i can save a few bucks and just re ring it. i was looking on line for a hone and stoped to check the forum. any thoughts on what hone and were to get it. i would like it to do both my hs40 and hs50 anthony.

I just found my hone on ebay. square stones will work good. I don't think you really want the ball style,but it will still work.
i have a new three prong square stone but the wrong grit. i found the 400 grit stones on eBay. much cheeper than a new hone. gonna strip as much paint off both engines as possible so the media blaster will charge less labor time. the gray muffler is off the hs50 the bare metal was in a parts box. the smaller diameter fits the hs40 perfectly. anthony

Attachments

cfh

If you're gonna hone, the ball style hones are a lot easier to use. and they come in different diameters and grits. they just work better too. for $30 you can get one off ebay.

If you're gonna hone, the ball style hones are a lot easier to use. and they come in different diameters and grits. they just work better too. for $30 you can get one off ebay.
i see them on eBay. i believe i would need a 2-3/4 400 grit. before i order fine grit stones il try to find the exact ball stone setup. picture of one very clean mag. anthony

Attachments

delray

one of the reason why a person may think a ball style honer may work better. ball hone will follow the contour of a egg sharp cylinder much better then a square hone will. that can be misleading and thinking you cylinder is perfect and most guys won't have the proper measuring devices to see how square there cylinder really is. so they just run it. like I said earlier it will still work for these little engines, they are pretty forgiving.
here is a good example of a hs40 hone with a square style stones. if you look closely you can see couple dark spots on top the hone did not clean up. for the most part I could of just ran it and it would of been fine. this was for my hs40 build and my plain was to spin this engine to the moon and that's where I decided to go with the newer style piston/thinner rings/.020 over. running the thicker rings at 7000 rpm's in my opinion wasn't the greatest thing for wear and tear and drag on a aluminum bore cylinder.

delray. iv read about the egg shaped bore in several places. the hs 50 was bored .020 over with a new piston. it was done on pro equipment. im prity sure that bore is square. i don't have dial bore gages so il never know for sure. that one is getting a light hone and hand field rings. my square stone hone would be alright for that one if i had the right grit stones witch are on eBay $12.00 shipped. the hs40 bore measured out right at the standard bore size 1/2 inch down the bore. that bore might be egg shaped. i still did not take the side cover off and look at the bore or piston. for that reason im gonna go with the ball stone hone. the reason the things not apart yet is because i hurt my back getting that friggin exhaust stud out yesterday. anthony