Hs40-55356c nikasil plated cylinder

This engine is an alloy Nikasil cylinder. There is no steel sleeve liner. Are you guys sleeving these cylinders or getting them replated?

Where do you guys send them for replating? There are lots of places that do it, but I want to know if you use someone specific that caters to side valve blocks. I want to make sure they can understand about masking off the seats and guides.

No stock HS40 was ever Nikasil plated stock. They were aluminum bore just like the cool bore briggs. Did someone have that done to your motor?

No stock HS40 was ever Nikasil plated stock. They were aluminum bore just like the cool bore briggs. Did someone have that done to your motor?
You're right. I'm sure it's not Nikasil. I was just using that term in a generic sense. What did Tecumseh call the coating process?

Anyway, same question. Will the stock piston and rings work with Nikasil plating, or do you sleeve the cylinder?

There is no coating just a high silicon content. They can be honed straight with a precision hone like this one. I use a lisle 16000 hone and they make stones for aluminum bores.

Attachments

delray

You're right. I'm sure it's not Nikasil. I was just using that term in a generic sense. What did Tecumseh call the coating process?

Anyway, same question. Will the stock piston and rings work with Nikasil plating, or do you sleeve the cylinder?
seen couple people use the stock piston and rings with a Nikasil plating cylinder wall, but at the end of the day it's not worth the money and longevity. oil splash engines that don't have a oil filter system and with the plated cylinder wall they tend to chew up the walls just like a stock aluminum wall would. even though they say the plating is very durable. my opinion a steel sleeve is the best for longevity.

There is no coating just a high silicon content. They can be honed straight with a precision hone like this one. I use a lisle 16000 hone and they make stones for aluminum bores.
Thanks. Did Tecumseh used a trade name for these cylinders?

steel ...short for iron sleeve tony. how are your bikes running. any road trips this summer on them.
The bikes are still in excellent condition and running good my purple R2 has the HS50 with iron cylinder, ARC rod, balanced, Dyno cam with good springs, custom oversize stainless exhaust pipe and Dellorto carb I really like the performance with that bike. We didn't get to ride them this year my wife has carpal tunnel in one wrist maybe next year they will be back.

Last edited: