HS40 ball bearing side cover?

markus

I've seen them sell all over the map, $25-$75 and anywhere in between is what I have seen/bought/and sold them for. you need the crank to go with as well. Really gotta watch too, people dont take the time to investigate why the sidecover just isn't sliding off the crank when removeing (there is a C clip under the large crankseal on the outside of the bearing). What happens is they usually jamb a few screwdrivers in between cover and case and commence to prying, So if your on the hunt for one, look it over REAL good-many of them are cracked, sealing surface dinged, bearing area busted etc.. :doah:

I think I have one. I'll check. If so, I have the crank as well. The journal is in good shape, and so is the rod. The piston is a little scarred. Pm me, and I can send you some pics of what I have.

markus

can my existing Rupp crank shaft be machine to fit? assuming the bearing ID is smaller than then on bearing case ID.
yes the bearing ID is smaller than the bushing sidecover ID

bushing engine (HS40)

Ball bearing crankshaft (HS40)

Keep in mind that if you were to do this it would be important to machine the groove and use the C clip to retain it. It keeps the crankshaft travel limited to the bearing only, not against the case.

the "small frame" H engines (2.5-3-3.5) from the same era are somewhere in the middle of those 2 measurements so if turning the crank down is an option they could be done too as the side covers for the HS will fit those as well, and at least Rupp did use the BB crank on the few 3.5 bikes in the lineup.

but, the RUPP BB crank is always followed with a BB side cover and not some small ID bushing cover correct? IS there ANY other difference between a BB crank and non BB crank be side the OD and groove for the side cover?

markus

but, the RUPP BB crank is always followed with a BB side cover and not some small ID bushing cover correct?
no, they did not make a smaller bushing sidecover for the HS

IS there ANY other difference between a BB crank and non BB crank be side the OD and groove for the side cover?
no other difference for the internals or ignition/flywheel side. the PTO side could come different ways depending on application, and all Rupp HS40's were ball bearing and Longer PTO. There may be a slight few at the very beginning of 1970 that were bushing but by mid year they were full swing BB.

Mine came off of a very strange rupp that or it is/was an unknown small time clone with the correct slanted intake and very very similar frame. It is bushing and not ball bearing.

capguncowboy

I wish I had read this thread before I pulled apart my Rupp engine. I ended up bending the washers that hold the bearing in place by using a gear puller on it. Fortunately, it didn't break anything and was easily resolved.

For future reference, what is the recommended method for removing the side cover on a ball bearing engine? I know the snap ring needs to come out first, but how do you remove the oil seal form the engine so you can access it?

I drill two small holes into the seal then screw in sheet metal screws and pull it out with a vice grip on the screws or impact puller.

capguncowboy

I drill two small holes into the seal then screw in sheet metal screws and pull it out with a vice grip on the screws or impact puller.
Any way to do that without ruining the old one? I guess it's best to replace the seal to be sure it doesn't leak, but seems wasteful, no?

if it is a good seal drill one small hole use the screw to pull it out then silicone over the drilled hole. I don't know of any other way to get it out.