Hs40 carb replacement

Are you using the correct TDC? There are 2 of them
I would use the meter to check that nothing is grounding where it shouldn’t be.
Like probe the top half and the bottom half of the points and make sure they have continuity when closed

How are the magnets on the flywheel? Over time they can get weak. Other than that, you should be able to test the entire circuit with a multimeter. Can you try the spark plug on a different engine to make sure it is working? Sometimes plugs get fouled. I have put brand new plugs in these and had them get fouled, and only a new plug would solve it.
You said the coil was tested. Could the spark plug wire be bent/cut/burned up?
Just spitballing here.
I just timed an Hs-50 last week. It did give me a little bit of trouble at first but I was able to get it done. Was a new to me flywheel and stator plate.

ELT

It ran with all the new stuff just no spark after timing. Guess I will have to start over
My 2 cents worth is you have a short to ground. Look over all your wires closely. Is something pinched or an eyelet turned and grounded when tightening a screw or nut. New condensers can be bad. Put the old parts that worked back in one at a time and see if it starts working.

Great thread here wish i could help, yet I'm learning that which i do not know. I get my Arse handed to me every time i turn around more often than not...
Don't give up, that's what makes these things fun. Besides if you're getting the opportunity to work with your grandsons, now that's what it's all about. Building memories that'll last a lifetime sir!
You will win, that's what we do, that's the magic in these things...
I've been reading along, not sure i follow totally along just yet. Only cuz i ain't been there... YET! My times comin this i do know. I also know we have to teach ourselves that which we do not know. Wow you've dun well Sir.
You are in the right place with all the help here you cannot, not win!

Bbqman

Oh I've been following you on this, I feel your pain. I'm not sure what type of torch tip cleaner you're using but I swear by those 5 buck carb wire tools. I used strands of wire brushes for years when I just had my cycle and it was the only thing I owned with a carb.

Not sure where you left off but did you loosen the gov arm, screw or linkages when you took carb off and on? That'll cause erratic idle more so but just brainstorming.
Please don't kick me out of this group after you see this picture. I was looking for a needle in a haystack reason and I missed this. Put an eBay carb on it and it runs fine now. That wasn't cracked last time I put it on. Know I did not use an impact lol. Thanks for everyone's help. There will be more things I am sure IMG_20210323_143242023.jpg

Bbqman

Please don't kick me out of this group after you see this picture. I was looking for a needle in a haystack reason and I missed this. Put an eBay carb on it and it runs fine now. That wasn't cracked last time I put it on. Know I did not use an impact lol. Thanks for everyone's help. There will be more things I am sure View attachment 276965
Still want an original though

I will just take everything out of the broken one. It's all brand new
So sorry to see that, any consultation
Out West (ok central) here we call that "Got Western with it" ;)
So did it have a hairline fracture of sorts? Casting imperfection?
Glad it's up and running now. Looks like @Skipp it going to save the day Sir! Thank you for sharing the outcome. Good info there for us, ok me cuz i know nothing and have the receipts to prove it! :confused: