HS40 convert to lighted

copyman

You need a damn book…if you’re going to be buying and selling these motors you should invest in a parts and service manual…the paper kind not virtual online shit…a real honest to goodness book…with pages….it actually list mini bike specific motors and their parts…you’d be amazed…and a better mechanic…
This is a hobby not a business otherwise I would have the manuals. I have enough service & part manuals for copiers which is my business. The tecumseh L-head, etc PDF manuals have worked well for this hobby.

Rebuilding an engine is much easier then working on a copier. I have completely rebuilt 5 big blocks and 7 small frames so still learning as I go along. Most engines I get look like the attached before and after pics. More rust the better, ha-ha. Finding these snow blower engines here on east coast are really rusted on outside but inside engine looks hardly used, most still have factory cross hatch marks on cyl walls.

Attachments

Last edited:
This is a hobby not a business otherwise I would have the manuals. I have enough service & part manuals for copiers which is my business. The tecumseh L-head, etc PDF manuals have worked well for this hobby.

Rebuilding an engine is much easier then working on a copier. I have completely rebuilt 5 big blocks and 7 small frames so still learning as I go along. Most engines I get look like the attached before and after pics. More rust the better, ha-ha. Finding these snow blower engines here on east coast are really rusted on outside but inside engine looks hardly used, most still have factory cross hatch marks on cyl walls.
I guess my philosophy is if it’s worth doing it’s worth doing correctly….just my opinion…you do you…let’s see some of those running motors on bikes….

copyman

I guess my philosophy is if it’s worth doing it’s worth doing correctly….just my opinion…you do you…let’s see some of those running motors on bikes….
I agree and try to educate myself best I can with what is available. The TEC L head, reference, etc manuals available online have had everything I've needed so far. And of course the great help from the people on this forum, including you.

The motor in the picture in previous post was used on my Heathkit Hilltopper in my avatar pic. I ride that bike a few times a week (have 2 Hilltoppers with the rebuilt engines) 3 of the 5 big blocks I've rebuilt were that same model lighted H50 and 2 were H60's (non-lighted) (great engines, my favorite) All start on 2nd pull, no smoke. Use only engineered fuel in my personal motors.

As for the HS40 & HS50's I've rebuilt 2 were for bikes I've sold like the Fox in attached pic. And others were sold on Ebay, Craigslist, Etc. 100% positive feedback. A pic of most recent HS50 I sold is attached

Only trouble I had rebuilding an engine was an HS40 that someone sent me to rebuild. It was in pieces except the block, when I pulled the cyl head off the valve seats, etc where so far gone that I couldn't get engine to start after rebuild! I even used a valve seat cutter (only time I've had to) but engine was to far gone. I shouldn't of even wasted my time with condition of that engine, should of sent it right back. That was definitely one for a master mechanic and learned a lesson with what my limits are.

I bench test all engines and take videos of them idling & full throttle. Attached is pic of my setup for testing engines.

Bottom line is if I do something I try and do it right. And is one of the reasons I ask detailed questions on this forum, some stupid.

I do give back by helping people (other techs & end users) who post questions on a copier forum that I belong to. I can say I'm an expert in that field with 40+ yrs of experience.

Attachments