HS40 dies when riding

Was working good for the last couple years, but this year went for a ride, and my front brake shoe came unglued and the bike died. I figured it was the load the stuck shoe was putting on the motor. Got new shoes and went for a ride.. everything fine for the first 5 min (after a good 10 min warn up) then it just dies. Its hard to start back up taking a minute of pulling before it starts, then i can only go a couple hundred feet before it dies over and over. It has fresh gas, cleaned the carb, Checked the vents in the cap, it seems like it will idle all day but when i put a load on it it dies when hot, the last time it died i quickly removed the plug and it had spark. this motor was refreshed by me a few years ago with a hone and new rings, new points, plug, condenser set at .047 btdc, new lifters and intake valve, valves lapped in, could i have a coil flaking out when hot and especially under load??? IMG_3183.JPG IMG_3186.JPG

May still be a fuel delivery issue too, You said you checked the vent, try removing the cap and run it, is your line in good shape? do you run a fuel filter?............................Tom.

Yes it has the red plastic line with the little see through filter, filter looks clean. Yes I advanced the timing a bit. This motor was well worn when I got it, it smoked like a old train! I think I set the valve lash to .017 intake and .014 exhaust when putting it back together. Maybe I'll pull the carb and make sure the float is set correctly???

Valve clearance (lash) is .004" -.008" for both intake and exhaust. If that is what you REALLY set them at, I am surprised it runs at all.
Michael

Correction .014 I/.012E, that was where they came in at when I assembled it maybe the cam is worn a bit. If I remember correctly that is why I ordered new lifters, thinking it would tighten the lash up. How do you tighten the lash up on these???? Longer valves??? The 47 btdc is fine this rehoned worn engine pushes the old Rupp to 39mph according to my GPS! Anyway with those lash numbers I don't think the valves are hanging open when hot. I did fill it up with 87 octain this spring instead of the usual 93, but i cant see that being a problem.

Last edited: