HS40- don't know much about it

Hi all! I came across this forum trying to research my late father's tecumseh HS40-55200H SER2181B. I take it its a vintage mini bike engine? Any information would be very helpful. I live in Virginia and don't know the first thing about minibike motors. It looks like its had fluids in it, but I doubt it's ever been mounted to anything. Its been sitting on the shelf in his garage for at least 20 years now, maybe longer. Thanks!

Attachments

Do your homework. .. It might blow you away on what its worth. HS40?
Thanks old shed finds. I've tried to look into it for a few days now with not much luck. I've seen a few similar sell on ebay for a few hundred dollars, but all rebuilt and date code known. I'm hoping to find out enough about it to accurately represent it. The engine belonged to my late father and I’m trying to help sell off some items for my mom, this included. Any help is appreciated on value or use for it. I’ve included a picture of the stampings on it “HS40-55200H SER 2181B”. I looked over the pinned image on this forum but it seems to skip from 55200G to 55201 with no mention of 55200H.Thank you for your time

Andrew

cfh

It’s 1982 I believe. Though very nice the pto is not drilled/tapped. Also not a ball bearing model. Cast iron flywheel with points. So it’s not a mini bike specific engine per se. But still a great engine. My guess is $150 to $250.

old shed finds

It’s 1982 I believe. Though very nice the pto is not drilled/tapped. Also not a ball bearing model. Cast iron flywheel with points. So it’s not a mini bike specific engine per se. But still a great engine. My guess is $150 to $250.
Right on the money.... These are not made anymore and lots of us want a Real ! Engine on our mini bikes and looking for these...drill and tap threads in crank is no big deal 30 min for me..

And some clutches have head screws that don't need a threaded crank.

cfh

i learned really quick that depending on set screws to hold anything is a mistake... especially when you're 5 miles from home. and set screws aren't gonna work with a torque converter.