HS40 fixed speed carb/intake.

HS40 Snowblower engine, fixed speed. A new one on me: A carburetor with no butterfly!

Maybe it is common and I just never noticed before. The butterfly is built into the intake manifold and is connected to the governor of course.

If I wanted to use this engine, can I put a regular carburetor on this intake manifold? Keep the governor and have 2 butterflies? Or would they fight each other too much... Just curious.

Thanks, Ken

Attachments

Haha well there goes that idea. You can't put a regular carburetor on this intake. Hole spacing is only 40mm. Probably to keep someone like me from trying to do what I was thinking of doing. :laugh:
20160218_172522.jpg

Engine is a HS40-55301B, off of an ancient Craftsman snowblower. Carburetor with no butterfly and weird hole spacing is 631630 :eek:ut: in case anyone is taking notes.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Strange intake and carb, can't say I have ever seen one like this.

I'm sure there is a reason but, my HS40 intake worked on the HS50 I have.
It may be due to year of engines.

Strange intake and carb, can't say I have ever seen one like this.

I'm sure there is a reason but, my HS40 intake worked on the HS50 I have.
It may be due to year of engines.
Hmmm. Well, Tecumseh 33691 is for HS50 and they are cheap and plentiful on ebay. $11.99 shipped.

Tecumseh 32699 is the only number I can find for the HS40 - drawing a blank finding one. :confused:

Auction # 322007715144 says it is for HS40 and it looks right. But I can't verify the part number. Plus the auction has "Rupp" in the title so it will probably go for big bucks :laugh:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Ya got me thinking, Was it the right intake Or was I just not paying attention, LOL

So, I went out to the shop and took the two intakes off.

The HS40 & HS50 match ( "D" type intake ) However, the HS40 I took the intake off of

is the round port like yours, so it had the wrong intake on it and I never knew that.

Might explain why it was always a problem to start.

Oh, if your needing a carb at a good deal, # 231755385807

Last edited:
Ya got me thinking, Was it the right intake Or was I just not paying attention, LOL

So, I went out to the shop and took the two intakes off.

The HS40 & HS50 match ( "D" type intake ) However, the HS40 I took the intake off of

is the round port like yours, so it had the wrong intake on it and I never knew that.

Might explain why it was always a problem to start.

Oh, if your needing a carb at a good deal, # 231755385807
You are saying you had an HS40 that was a bear to start, because it had an HS50 intake manifold installed?

Tecumseh 32859 looks like another HS40 part # but those aren't available either. :laugh:

Cool!! Thank you :thumbsup: $8 shipping I guess I will browse the store and see if there is anything else I need.

Edit: they must send everything in separate boxes :laugh: I went ahead and ordered it, $25 shipped. :thumbsup:
Yeah the HS50 has the triangular intake and cant be used withe HS40. I wud imagine u could at least get the engine to start the other way around. But still you should get the right one for best performance.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I used to fart around to get the darn HS40 to start. Had it apart more times than I can remember.

New points, condenser, timeing, took it to the local small engine shop for timeing.

Still the same thing, a bear to start, then it did not run well. Mucked with it for a few years.

Now I find out the intake was wrong, bet that was it the hole time and here I was blameing everything else.

Guess it just goes to show you , don't assume it is right unless you built it.

Never had the intake off until now.

I used to fart around to get the darn HS40 to start. Had it apart more times than I can remember.

New points, condenser, timeing, took it to the local small engine shop for timeing.

Still the same thing, a bear to start, then it did not run well. Mucked with it for a few years.

Now I find out the intake was wrong, bet that was it the hole time and here I was blameing everything else.

Guess it just goes to show you , don't assume it is right unless you built it.

Never had the intake off until now.
:thumbsup: Awesome. Glad I could help you (indirectly) :laugh: You were helping me and ended up helping yourself. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So that Milford Power Equipment site: Their shipping is a little higher but they do ship quick! Ordered the HS40 intake on Friday and received on Monday. :thumbsup:

And Cory I don't know what that 51 0 95 number is but it is cast into this brand new one as well. :shrug: It fits good and I didn't have to spend any time scraping an old gasket off. I might get this thing running someday :laugh: