HS40 flywheel

ELT

I pulled the flywheel off a lighted hs40 engine that I'm rebuilding and found the steel shoes that are glued to the magnets are all loose. Has anybody had any luck reglueing the steel piece back on the magnets? 20191225_175414.jpg

cfh

i have re-glued them with jb weld and it's worked well. but you need to come up with a clamping system to hold them for 24 hours as the jb weld dries.

markus

I have, I use standard jb weld 24hr set after a thorough cleaning, I put a little clamp on them to push the the excess epoxy out and keep them from any moving while it sets. I would suggest doing what I call a "tap test" to the magnets themselves as well. Any glued magnet flywheel I plan to reuse anymore I take a large wooden dowel or wood tool handle and use it against the magnet and give it a light hit/tap with a hammer to make sure the glue that holds that to the flywheel is strong enough or not. A flywheel of that particular design is between 39-45 years old, so the factory epoxy has some age on it. Rather fix it before than after. The lighted ones are the worst because even at rest there is always one thats going to have an attraction/pull to the stator plate on it. They wont fly off during operation, but when the unit comes to rest the magnet or spacer will pull off the flywheel and want to go to the stator plate, usually locking the engine up.

Looks like you have a few of the steel spacers loose, try and put them back in to the same spot they came from. sames goes for the magnet if it comes loose, running a small navigational compass around the flywheel will verify the pole locations of the magnets so they go in the right orientation before pulling any more off.