HS40/HS50 mechanical compression release cam (from 5.5 ohv)

markus

In the last updates of Parts listings for Tecumseh engines, Tecumseh was substituting the 33158 fixed compression release cam with the 37040 mechanical compression release version that was made for the OHV engine. Has anyone installed one into a rebuild if and has their been any issue with it?

not to be confused with first generation HS40 cam that was mechanical that used the double sized lobe and smaller tappet (the reason their is a big cut out on the HS cranckshafts), they did away with that by the 1970 model engines. The newer ohv version has standard sized lobes.

They are pretty inixpensive, the one thing I did notice though is there are alot of "new take offs" listed on ebay coming out of new engines. Not sure why, I dont know if thats due to kart racing/powersports, or if there is just such an excess of those engines that didn't sell its just easier to part them out or what.

Just wondering if they will take mini bike type abuse alright (off and on the throttle constantly, running higher rpm, etc..) would not mind starting to use them in rebuilds, it would be an improvment if the release functions properly, as long as it stays together :smile:

markus

They do appear to be plastic/phenolic or something to that nature, thats why I am wondering the overall reliability.