HS40 question

Spark yes, correct timing no and I don’t see how the crankshaft could turn unless the sheared key is all jammed up in there or the key is just bent or partially sheared due to incorrect torque on the flywheel nut or some other malady. If I’m mistaken we will hear about it shortly.

copyman

Hi, Thanks for quick reply. I had this same thing happen before with HS50 that was newly rebuilt like this engine and key was sheared because of not torquing FW correctly. Don't think I had spark with that HS50. This HS40 I used a torque wrench to spec. Both would start 1st or 2nd pull and running good for about a week while testing & fine tuning carb then one day won't start even with starting fluid.
What sucks is engine is already painted and mounted on the bike and why asking before taking housing off to see.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for quick reply. I had this same thing happen before with HS50 that was newly rebuilt like this engine and key was sheared because of not torquing FW correctly. Don't think I had spark with that HS50. This HS40 I used a torque wrench to spec. Both would start 1st or 2nd pull and running good for about a week while testing & fine tuning carb then one day won't start even with starting fluid.
What sucks is engine is already painted and mounted on the bike and why asking before taking housing off to see.
Yes that does suck. I hope it works out well for you and please update with what you find because maybe it will help other members in similar situations.

If you have a magneto and flywheel moves relative to points opening it may not have spark or weak spark. If you have a newer motor with CDI it will still have spark.