HS50 carburetor questions on rebuild or replace

45t

My sons CAT 400TS stopped running and I know it’s the carb that needs rebuilt or replaced. The engine is an HS50 snow blower engine that has performed great for him up until now. The #’s on the shroud are HS50-67175C SER 9156B.

I have a few questions on fixing the issue. If I were to rebuild the carb, what is a good rebuild kit to use? If I were to replace it with a new carb, what would be a good replacement carb? Lastly, I have a H35 with a good carb, would that be compatible to use on the HS50? The H35 is newer than the HS50 and the #’s are H35 45621U (A) 3266B.

thank you for any assistance the OldMiniBikes community can provide. Of all the mini bikes I done in the last 10+ years, this will be the first carb that I’ve had to fix. I’m in uncharted territory, please excuse my ignorance.

markus

Best rebuild kit for a Tecumseh is a genuine Tecumseh...and preferably an older carded version. These Carbs almost always need the throttle shaft replaced, and alot of times the float as well. and of course the most important thing to do is to fully tear the carb down, shafts and all to inspect all those parts and be able to make sure that things like the idle circuit can be tested to make sure its working etc...

An H35 carb is not the same as an HS50 internally, Tecumseh sized the carbs for the engine in both the venturi/bore and the idle passages/circuits, so in order to correctly run they really should be for the engine size you are working on. Its also always a good idea, to verify the carb on the engine is in fact what you think it is, the number stamped on the carb should be checked and cross referenced to see if they match the engine or at least the engine size for best results.

DaddyJohn

If you want to get the bike up and going while you work on the original carb, repro carbs are available through eBay or the jungle site for cheap money. Make sure it’s the 632615 style. You may have to bend the choke lever around to get the swing right, but it’s pretty easy to do.

To get you up and running/riding the cheap China-made clone carb would be worth a shot. Then you could take your time and still rebuild the OEM carb. I would caution you, however, that it has been my experience that about 50% of the clone carbs I have purchased either leak and/or do not run right.
Michael

Last edited:

Bird Brain

I bought a keihin clone carb some years back on the cheap side new, although the fit and finish seemed ok and had no fuel leakage the performance was/is below standard. Not sure if they take too middle of the road jetting trying to make them fit as many applications as possible with at least some success in operation although the performance is lacking it at least starts. Purpose made and specific application designed is always best when available and well...affordable even if you wait for an extra 2 weeks pay to get the factory replacement ive learned.

DaddyJohn

I’ve not had any failures with the repro Tec carbs, and that’s having used maybe a dozen of them over the last few years. I’ve had to adjust the mixture screws a bit, but otherwise no real issues I can recall. Could be lucky, I guess. I’ve also used Chikuni VM22 slide carbs with good effect on Honda clone engines (always have to rejet, so plan on it), and even Yamaha Jog and TTR-90 repro carbs. The TTR’s actually made more power than stock, possibly because the carb bores Were slightly larger. I bought a Honda XR70 carb that was a leaker once, but the seller replaced it. I’ve also had a couple of duds in terms of Briggs riding mower carbs, but by and large have had decent luck there too, considering the numbers. I just wish they’d copied the Walbro style carbs instead of the Nikki.

DaddyJohn

I neglected to mention that the cheap Chinese carbs seem to always work well on cheap Chinese engines (Predator, Chinese mini bikes, etc,)…lol :p