HS50 crankshaft question.

Sarge81

I picked up a HS50 67081C Serial # 6279B engine cheap at a garage sale. It was mounted a generator at one time. It looks to be very, very low hours if any on it. Correct me if I'm wrong..I guess you can't use the tapered crankshaft with a Rupp TC. This is a points engine with the ball bearing side case.

So my question is...Will a HS50 #33676 crankshaft work in this engine?
I'm guessing the #33676 were all for BB side cases??
TIA

Last edited:

mustangfrank

I picked up a HS50 67081C Serial # 6279B engine cheap at a garage sale. It was mounted a generator at one time. It looks to be very, very low hours if any on it. Correct me if I'm wrong..I guess you can't use the tapered crankshaft with a Rupp TC. This is a points engine with the ball bearing side case.

So my question is...Will a HS50 #33676 crankshaft work in this engine?
I'm guessing the #33676 were all for BB side cases??
TIA
Nice score, the BB side covers are getting hard to find. Tapered shafts are useless in our world, not looking at a parts book but a points, BB crank from a pre 1980ish HS50 will drop right in assuming it's a 1976 engine based on that S/N.

Sarge81

Nice score, the BB side covers are getting hard to find. Tapered shafts are useless in our world, not looking at a parts book but a points, BB crank from a pre 1980ish HS50 will drop right in assuming it's a 1976 engine based on that S/N.
Thank you sir. I went back to ebay to buy 1 of 2 brand new Tec 33676 crankshafts and...they were both sold. :(
So the hunt continues.

mustangfrank

Thank you sir. I went back to ebay to buy 1 of 2 brand new Tec 33676 crankshafts and...they were both sold. :(
So the hunt continues.
I've never laid eyes on an HS generator engine but the HM series generator cranks can be cut and turned down to 3/4" and a keyway added. What's the length and diameter on the HS gen crank?

Sarge81

I've never laid eyes on an HS generator engine but the HM series generator cranks can be cut and turned down to 3/4" and a keyway added. What's the length and diameter on the HS gen crank?
As you can see in the picture. Overall length is around 2-13/16".
From the side cover to the 1-1/2" mark a 3/4" open end wrench won't slip over the shaft.
From the 1-1/2" mark to about the 2-1/8" mark a 3/4" open end wrench will slip over the shaft.
After that the shaft is tapered.

Attachments

mustangfrank

As you can see in the picture. Overall length is around 2-13/16".
From the side cover to the 1-1/2" mark a 3/4" open end wrench won't slip over the shaft.
From the 1-1/2" mark to about the 2-1/8" mark a 3/4" open end wrench will slip over the shaft.
After that the shaft is tapered.
Probably not an option to turn that crank down if that step at 1-1/2" and out is less than 3/4", need a caliper measurement to confirm. The clutches require a step next to the engine cover to sit against so if the rest is 7/8" it's possible. I don't think the new total length of 2-1/8" would be an issue for mini usage (normally 1/8" to 1/4" longer, Rupps might be an issue, they were even longer).

Probably not an option to turn that crank down if that step at 1-1/2" and out is less than 3/4", need a caliper measurement to confirm. The clutches require a step next to the engine cover to sit against so if the rest is 7/8" it's possible. I don't think the new total length of 2-1/8" would be an issue for mini usage (normally 1/8" to 1/4" longer, Rupps might be an issue, they were even longer).
Here are some pics of the measurements in this crankshaft.
thumbnail_IMG_0508.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0507.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0505.jpg