HS50 Governor / Throttle question

copyman

Sorry for long post but wanted to give as much detail as possible.

A little history about this engine, off a snow blower and had the 2nd shaft with pulley. Was a really clean engine inside and still had factory hone marks on cyl wall. Still went ahead and did complete rebuild with rings, etc. When I put back together used a regular HS50 side cover & cam. The governor on side cover was identical to original. Started right up and idles great (New Chinese carb & mini bike throttle control kit)

Not sure but think this issue has something to do with the governor? I did the gov adj according to the book. As I mentioned after complete rebuild the engine starts right up and idles fine, but when you move throttle control it will only move carb lever a little like it's being held back by gov, but if you push on gov arm it moves throttle lever and revs fine. I’ve spent at least 2 hours trying all different spring settings, etc. If I put spring on any of the top holes on gov arm it pulls throttle lever out of idle position to full open (see first 2 pics). When started gov pulls throttle lever back to idle position and then throttle control works ok but don’t think it can be left like that.

If spring is put on any of the gov arm 3 bottom holes everything moves fine until engine is started and then throttle lever will hardly move at all with throttle control. If I push on gov arm motor revs fine and runs full speed as it should (see last 2 pics)

Oh yea one more thing, Don't think it has anything to do with this issue but the few times I've converted these snowblower engine throttle assemblies over to mini bike with the kit that's sold I've had to use a longer screw for it to move throttle control lever that pulls spring for gov arm. Screw that comes with kit is always too short and bottoms out?

Not much in the L head manual for Gov on horizontal engines. So far I’ve spent around 3 hours trying all different spring holes, link holes, etc.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

From what you’re describing it’s a Pure guess here…try minor bends in your linkage from the gov to the carb…

and next time I would try the other type throttle control…those there suck ass….

copyman

From what you’re describing it’s a Pure guess here…try minor bends in your linkage from the gov to the carb…

and next time I would try the other type throttle control…those there suck ass….
Will give that a try and report back.

I agree these throttle controls suck! I thought this was only option for throttle control and original TEC part for mini bikes, etc? I wish the old style similar to what's on the H50 (in pic) were still available for HS models. Is that what you are talking about?

Attachments

copyman

How the Fu%k you have that many! That's a crime! Ha-ha

Yes they are the good ones. I see repo's on ebay but they are like $55 each. Might have to bite the bullet and buy one.

copyman

I saved every one…parts are the hard part
I hear you but to have that many blower housing / engines that were bad to strip them from. I guess if you are messing with engines for many years you get to part out a lot of engines along the way.

And these for spares….you can pick these up for cheap…a little sand paper and spray paint they look like new…like I said the hard part is finding the springs and that damn throttle screw…ordered13 got 8….
956FFB45-2352-4BE0-9223-B1A9C7EE8095.jpeg

copyman

I'm going to keep my eyes open and grab any I see.

By the way in the first pic you posted do you know what that green one came off of? Never saw an engine that color, unless of course someone painted with kitchen or bathroom paint:eek:
Oddest color I've seen TEC engines was the Sears blue color used on generators, etc.

Last edited:
I’ve had several hs50s that color….usually hs50-67003s…..have one on the sheLf now waiting….I think they must have came off snowblower in the west….everyone I’ve ever worked on that color looked new inside….the one I have now is the only one I’ve had that’s not drilled and tapped….but that’s not an issue….

copyman

I’ve had several hs50s that color….usually hs50-67003s…..have one on the sheLf now waiting….I think they must have came off snowblower in the west….everyone I’ve ever worked on that color looked new inside….the one I have now is the only one I’ve had that’s not drilled and tapped….but that’s not an issue….
Forget the color it seems more odd that snow blowers would use that type of throttle setup?

Drilled & tapped?

I have found that the new style throttle mechanism works better to get full throttle if you tighten that adjustment screw all the way in where it rides against the cam.
It governs the amount of full throttle available, if you want to tone it down for a child rider.

I'm going to keep my eyes open and grab any I see.

By the way in the first pic you posted do you know what that green one came off of? Never saw an engine that color, unless of course someone painted with kitchen or bathroom paint:eek:
Oddest color I've seen TEC engines was the Sears blue color used on generators, etc.
Never seen one in blue, but I did see a forest green tecumseh on a Coleman Generator from the 1980s.

I wonder If john Deere ever used a green colored tec? the only John Deeres I ever seen with tecs were black.

Tecumseh's parent company, lauson did use green on many of their 1940's and 50's engines.

Last edited:
The 2 throttle assemblies next 2 the green one I assume are the repo's offered on E bay.
The screw holes are not extruded and have an incorrect nut for retaining the spring/arm.

copyman

The 2 throttle assemblies next 2 the green one I assume are the repo's offered on E bay.
The screw holes are not extruded and have an incorrect nut for retaining the spring/arm.
I was thinking same thing. The new locknut didn't look right. Although maybe they are pieced together with some OEM parts. Still they are good to have and getting harder to find.

I like the first one with the curled tab where the round cable stop would sit.