HS50 ring gap

f4radar

I'm putting together an hs50. I,ve honed the cylinder and my new/unused (standard) ring gap measures .21. I know that is .004 outside tolerance is it worth sourcing oversized rings for? Any shared experience in this would be apreciated.

f4radar

I always buy .010 or .020 rings and cut them down….
I've ordered the .20 overs from a couple of places but they went from in stock to back ordered. Now I'm just wondering how bad it would be to be .004 out of tolerance on a scale of 1-10... 1 being sudden explosive death and 10 being heavenly bliss?

Well I’m no expert but I’d get as close as you could to spec….compression etc would be effected…..020 are getting hard to locate…my favorite place to order parts from is meadowbrook out of England….

(Assuming you measured it accurately) a ring gap of .021" =a worn bore and/or rings and poor performance.
Michael
Edit: If the .021" ring gap is for a NEW ring your bore is worn. I would give it about a 3-4 on your ccale.

Last edited:

f4radar

How did the 20mm work out? Jetting? Thanks
I pulled governor while I was in the block. Used this PZ20 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NTX9X57?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details . Fabricated an intake and bought a new throttle cable. Ive used two of these carbs on HS50s and they seem to work great right out of the box. I just can't believe the difference in all aspects (starting ,idle, throttle response, and high speed using the slide carb. Maybe I just can't dial in a stock carb.

Attachments

delray

I pulled governor while I was in the block. Used this PZ20 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NTX9X57?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details . Fabricated an intake and bought a new throttle cable. Ive used two of these carbs on HS50s and they seem to work great right out of the box. I just can't believe the difference in all aspects (starting ,idle, throttle response, and high speed using the slide carb. Maybe I just can't dial in a stock carb.
once you really understand how a slide carb works. they are 10x's better then a old tecumseh carb. great improvement when hot rodding a sm block tecumseh....:scooter: