HSSK50 Refresh

Fisher1983

I picked up a decent HSSK-50 yesterday on trade. I have it all apart already. The bore and the piston look very good. Are Tecs like Briggs engines where you can order a new set of rings and install or do they need to be honed? Also, this engine has a microscopic exhaust valve. I'm not sure if it's normal, but the stem seems slightly loose in the guide. Intake feels good. Anything else I should look at on this little thing? This is my first venture into Tecumseh. I heard these little buggars will rip pretty good though so I'm excited.

What makes you think it needs new rings? Is it smoking, have low compression, poor performance, etc.? You stated that "The bore and piston LOOK very good" (emphasis added to stress point)is only PART of what you want to check out. A visual on the bore only checks for scoring. Can you see any factory "cross hatching" on the bore? If so, you do not need new rings. If no cross hatching is visible the bore could be worn oversize, tapered, or out of round (or all of the above!) which you cannot determine by just looking. You need to precisely measure the bore with a bore gauge (multiple locations- top, middle, bottom) and compare it to known Tecumseh specs/service limits. Just putting in a new set of rings w/o checking the bore specs will accomplish nothing other than lighten your wallet.
Michael

Last edited:

Fisher1983

Yes, visually it looks good. There is no scoring. Nothing catches a nail. There wasn't even a ridge. Crosshatch is visible under the piston skirt where the rings don't touch. The part of the bore where the rings DO touch has a slight bit of crosshatch...almost impossible to see. I just don't want to reassemble everything and it turn into a diesel like one of my Briggs engines did...which was an iron bore with visible crosshatching. This engine has sat for 2 years and I'm cleaning it up to use until my BB Tec is done. It was off of a snow blower so I ASSUME it has had little useage. Also this being my first Tec build I'm not familiar with the do's and dont's and whatnot. Thanks for the input, others please chime in!