HSSK50 small block mods

delray

ok guys here is what i was work on for a head gasket. initially it was for another engine for racing(clone). i was working with gentleman on making a copper head gasket in different thicknesses and he was also making it to my bore size. this is where it gets interesting. factory gasket on the clone is about .050 over the bore size. told me he could make the copper much smaller. closer to the bore size and when the copper was torque down the copper will only travel about .001 in word. so i end up making the gasket much smaller to the bore size. this too now help increase the compression with out milling so much off the head and on thickness of the gasket. at the same time i was asking about hs-50 gaskets that he already had made up in the pass and that he could make them in .042 and .032 so i got one of each for now with my clones gaskets(ship together)
after getting my hs gaskets i set one on top of my block and that too i notes the gasket was about .050 large then the bore. with my 2.795 bore i could have him make the circle part much smaller. of course this would only work on this bore size and the bigger bore you might only be able to go little smaller. every little bit would help specially on the small bore hs-50's and i can get the gasket in a .032 thickness.
77r.jpg

Last edited:

delray

there's a guy on ebay selling copper hs50 gaskets at .042" thickness. they are only i think $10. he also says he can make other thickness. but i've never heard anything good about copper gaskets. my understanding is that they must be annealed before use?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=313010930171
yes clay, you need to anneal the copper first. then take a red scotch pad to the copper and then apply permatex copper spray or this toyota gasket sealer material that i seem to see alot of gokart guys use and engine builders. thats the two biggest ones that i see pop up. there is other products that might also work.

cfh

Last edited:

delray

i set the stock head gasket on the block and that too has quite a bit of clearance between the bore and gasket. i'm sure it was one gasket fits all. meaning it was made for the big bore blocks too.
79fsm.jpg

i also did a quick measurement of the thickness that came out too about .063 maybe little smaller if i squeeze the calipers.
80.jpg

delray

i think i measured .065 on my head gasket. me thinks there's some variance in stock head gasket thickness between .060 and .070.
my gasket was one of them gray color composite with steel mesh in the middle of it. i don't have any old style factory steel one's to measure.

delray

not much going with my engine build now . it's kind of on the back burner with all my racing stuff going on now. i just finish up coating a racing piston so i thought at the same time i would give the tecumseh piston the treatment too.
before picture of the piston clean up and looking just like new.
88s.jpg

products i use where made by a company called Cerakote. piston coating is a oven cure ceramic thin film thermal barrier coating designed to be applied on the top of pistons, on the top of valves, and the combustion chamber on a cylinder head and the side coating is a Micro Slick used to assist in reducing friction where.
87s.jpg

I recently bought a .010 Tecumseh piston (40045) that had that coating on it....at the machine shop the machinist stated it could withstand tighter tolerances....I don’t know, it sounded good....

markus

I recently bought a .010 Tecumseh piston (40045) that had that coating on it....at the machine shop the machinist stated it could withstand tighter tolerances....I don’t know, it sounded good....
have you run that piston yet? Been curious about that one and actual fitment in an HS block (thinking possible deck height difference?). Supposedly after 2005 they were going to coat and redesign to the elliptical style on all the remaining small frame pistons to match that low emissions designed one you got according to their publications.

markus

Yes it’s in a motor now...I haven’t ran it much...long enough to re jet a mikuni several times.....it’s good and strong...
thanks, I’ve wondered about those for a couple of years now, but most of them I have worked with (hs50) were the early bore size. I have an NOS big valve/small bore ball bearing sbh that I wanted to get a std sized one of those for it....have been watching for a junk engine off a mower that used them or a really cheap used one to check measurements from before I ordered a new one. Thanks for the info!