Huffy Hustler, my wife is gonna be P*ss*d!

Addicted 2 Minis

Here's how my next MBA meeting is going to start. Hi, My name is Tad, like all of you, I'm a Mini Bike Addict!. I decided to stray from my normal Lil Indian and Ruttman niche and went and got me a Huffy Hustler. If anyone has read some of my other posts, you'll know I'm not a big fan of full suspension bikes. That's where I feel Huffy hit the nail on the head with the Hustler, it's a full suspension bike that still retains the mini bike appearance. I have had many Huffy BMX bikes and have despised them all, they're just so darn heavy and as a kid living out in the sticks with a ton of hills you learn to hate certain brands, for me it was Huffy!. It wasn't until I saw one on here a while back did I say "Now that's a Huffy I wouldn't mind owning", they just look tuff. This is the first purple full suspension one I've seen, Model H0910-7011, I don't know how to date these, at first I thought the last part "7011" was the year and month of manufacture but all the serial plates I have seen (all 3 of them) have the last part as "7011". The only purple one in a brochure has regular clamp on handlebars, model H0900, I guess mines of the same era with the difference of the model number being that mine has the chrome forks. Here's some pictures from the listing, needs a lot of work, the biggest hurdle will be the seat and clutch cover but it'll be cool once finished.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg

Addicted 2 Minis

Nice. I have a few of those. Lol. I think they had 8 different models with different variations, mostly to the suspension.
Yeah, I saw your seat, nice job BTW. I may be turning to you and Markus for clutch and brake info on this one. From what I've seen, it looks like it uses a 5" bendix drum sprocket but I may need some better pictures of linkage and what not.

Addicted 2 Minis

What I don't get is, why aren't there more of them around?, seems like they're more popular now than when new. I have only seen about ten since I first noticed them, the majority belonging to you. Most everybody else just seems to pass them on, funny thing is, I haven't seen the exact configuration twice except for the green model like yours.

They must of not made that many of them. I probably have about 6 of them in different stages of life. Lol. Cheezy just had one for sale and recently saw another for sale on Facebook.

Addicted 2 Minis

I was trolling through the media files here and saw one of Cheezy's, it had bent forks too, at first I thought this may be it but his had a different seat. I can't imagine there being too many seats around to swap them out. The eBay seller I purchased it from is around the Detroit area and said his friend had one too and he used to be a member here. I would like to use what came on the bike as far as clutch goes, happen to know what brand and size?, 20, 30 series? and what diameter driven would be awesome.

markus

I would like to use what came on the bike as far as clutch goes, happen to know what brand and size?, 20, 30 series? and what diameter driven would be awesome.

your bike is a standard clutch and jackshaft version, will not fit a Torque convertor system without modification. Allied liesure, if I am not mistaken, had the correct brake drum and bendix for the Turfmaster/Huffy bikes NOS, a lot of them have been sold though in the last few years as people and suppliers were converting them over to fit bonanza and others though so I don't know what the available status of them are. They had a flanged surface cut into the wheel hub snout which I think fit the drum/sprocket correctly.

Addicted 2 Minis

your bike is a standard clutch and jackshaft version, will not fit a Torque convertor system without modification. Allied liesure, if I am not mistaken, had the correct brake drum and bendix for the Turfmaster/Huffy bikes NOS, a lot of them have been sold though in the last few years as people and suppliers were converting them over to fit bonanza and others though so I don't know what the available status of them are. They had a flanged surface cut into the wheel hub snout which I think fit the drum/sprocket correctly.
Thanks Markus, I saw one on OldMiniBikes but don't know if the retaining nut on the inside is welded on the correct side. Thanks for the clutch info, That makes life a lot easier.

ALC_2530X-6_FULL_HQ__91584.1516812962.jpg

When you set up a Bendix brake for the bike, you need to make a little bracket on the brake with a stub sticking out to sit in the frame to hold the brake in place. Not sure I explained that correctly.

Addicted 2 Minis

Ah, yes, I see, I noticed the Bendix backing plate I'm looking at has a nut welded on the inside, I wonder if I could just use a bolt from the inside with a jam nut on the outside if it would be in the correct spot?. Thanks Manchester1, this is the good stuff you don't just get anywhere else.

markus

Thanks Markus, I saw one on OldMiniBikes but don't know if the retaining nut on the inside is welded on the correct side. Thanks for the clutch info, That makes life a lot easier.

View attachment 254820
they are the same, they just include a reducer as the huffy I think had a long spacer or something funky about the axle from what I can remember

Not sure what OldMiniBikes charges, allied still offers them pretty affordably @ $60 for the brake/sprocket. https://shop.alliedleisurecorp.com/...oductId=-420410&shopBy=-12310&catalogId=-3369

Ah, yes, I see, I noticed the Bendix backing plate I'm looking at has a nut welded on the inside, I wonder if I could just use a bolt from the inside with a jam nut on the outside if it would be in the correct spot?. Thanks Manchester1, this is the good stuff you don't just get anywhere else.
That might just work.