I am using a 4.5 inch wide fiberglass fender to make a fender for my Rupp Roadster 2

GustoGuy

I found a fiberglass fender on BMIcarts.com and I am modifying it to look more like a Rupp Roadster 2 fender. I cut it down to just over 25 inches long from the original 28.5 inches. I also removed the rear shaped fender edge and using my front fender recreated the same shape which looks just like the Rupp rear fender pictures. Does anyone have the dimensions of the chain cutout for the fender? How long and how deep it is? As well as the exact locations of the mounting holes for the fender. If done correctly I feel this would be a great inexpensive alternative to a steel used Rupp Roadster 2 fender. Just about every Rupp fender I find is either rusted terribly or dented and has cracks. 20190720_185136_resized.jpg 20190720_185117_resized.jpg

GustoGuy

Does anybody have the exact dimensions of a Rupp Roadster 2 12 inch wheel rear fender? I know that they are about 25 inches along the outer circumference and that the first hole is down low in the front. I am interested in the exact location of the hole where the license plate bracket attaches as well as a picture with a tape measure for reference of the size of the chain cut out on the right-hand side of the fender where it attaches over the swingarm when looking from the rear of the bike to the front. I will document my exact measurements with pictures of the finished rear fender so others can fashion a fiberglass replacement fender for their Rupp Roadster 2. I appreciate your help in getting me good measurements and pictures of a decent condition Rupp Roadster 2 rear fender and I will document what I did with measurements and pictures so others can make their own replacement fenders.

GustoGuy

i have a slew of them, but they are all attached to bikes...
Could you hold a tape measure up to the chain cutout (length and width)and how far in the license plate bracket hole is from the rear of the fender. Thank you for doing this since I can't find any info about the fender dimensions the internet.

cfh

If you hold a tape measure down the center top of the fender the total length is 25 1/2 inches. If you put the fender on a table the length across the top of the table is 21 inches. The width of the fender across the bottom is 4 inches. If you run the tape measure across the top and bend it to the shape of the fender the width is 4 3/4 inches. The chain cut out is one 1 inch deep from the edge of the fender and 3 inches long. That’s total length because the corner is rounded. After 2 inches of straight cut it starts to angle to get to a total of 3 inches on the edge

GustoGuy

If you hold a tape measure down the center top of the fender the total length is 25 1/2 inches. If you put the fender on a table the length across the top of the table is 21 inches. The width of the fender across the bottom is 4 inches. If you run the tape measure across the top and bend it to the shape of the fender the width is 4 3/4 inches. The chain cut out is one 1 inch deep from the edge of the fender and 3 inches long. That’s total length because the corner is rounded. After 2 inches of straight cut it starts to angle to get to a total of 3 inches on the edge
Thank you for these measurements. This is what I have mocked up with those measurements.

Center of fender from front to back.

Width of fender along bottom

Cutout for chain

Total flat surface length of fender area covered on a flat surface

I think it will work. The fender is just a bit wider than the stock Rupp Roadster 2 fender. It would be tough accurately shaving about 3/8th of an inch off the width. How much room between the fender and rear shock. Is it better than 1/2 of 3/8ths = 3/16ths or 1.5/8ths. Then it will work.

Attachments

cfh

The distance from the edge of the fender to the shock springs is only about 3/8" on each side. all your other measures look pretty good. i think you'll be alright on the sides without cutting the fender.

GustoGuy

Thanks to everyone for all the photos and measurements. Here is what I came up with. It looks pretty much like a Rupp Roadster 2 fender only in Fiberglass. The dimensions are almost identical just 3/8th of an inch wider than the original steel fender. 20190731_200159_resized.jpg 20190731_200227.jpg

GustoGuy

Here is a close up of the fender notch for where the chain goes under. Other than it being just a bit wider than the original rear fender all my measurements are spot on. These fenders are very reasonably priced and a fiberglass fender should hold up really well and I will never have to worry about it rusting. Next week I will be painting my bike!. I will paint it the original Green Sanabria Verde S6S Metallic which I will have the paint shop make up. I will then spray it with a 2K clearcoat urethane. I will post lots of pictures too.

20190731_211238.jpg