I bought a Rupp off Craig's list tonight

GustoGuy

I have been watching this for the last 21 days that it has been on Craig's list. At first it was $250 then it was marked down to $200 and finally tonight he marked it down to $100. Well I thought I would never ever see another Rupp roller with the wheels for $100 again so I gave him a call and drove down and picked it up. It comes with the front Chrome fender and Headlight and home made belt guard and has a newer HS40 Tecumseh engine from 1995 since the sticker on the engine said it meets 1995 to 1999 emission. The engine has a Comet primary instead of the original Rupp primary. It is not the original engine but is the right type of engine and has the angled intake manifold to keep the carb level when installed in the bike. If the engine it comes with is not a runner I will put a HF 212cc Predator on it. The seconary spins freely and smoothly and it also comes with the chain and chain guard. It is missing the gas tank and the seat cover and foam and kick stand. The seat pan seemed very solid with just a small amount of pitting which was painted over with red spray paint. The original color of the bike is yellow. One of the rear shocks was off the bike and in the tote that he gave me with the sale of the bike. I may need to get some after market ones from ebay or Blackwidow NOS sells them plus lots of other parts. I may want to strip the paint and carefully POR15 it with a brush and then topcoat with spray paint. I was delighted to see that it had the 12 inch chrome motorcycle style spoke wheels which are very straight and only have a tiny amount of surface rust which I will treat with a rust remover so I think they will shine up pretty nice. The tires appear to be the original since they say Rupp trails and they are totally shot and I will need new tires. The wheels roll pretty smoothly so the bearings could be ok. If not they are pretty cheap to replace. Here are some pictures of the bike

Attachments

Last edited:

GustoGuy

That was an absolute dream find. One of the wheels is worth more than that.Way to go.
Thanks Bob. I really like reading the build threads here on the forum. I do appreciate people who restore these bikes and I would like to restore things to it's former glory. Now I got to find some time to work on this bike. I bought it to ride so I am not going to even attempt to make it into a showpiece. I already priced out some parts that I will need on Black widow NOS site. I started with upgrading my son's old DB that we bought for him when he was 10 years old. I bought this bike because I wanted another bike so My wife and I can go riding. I see you own 2 Rupp's how are they for general riding? Is the original Tecumseh engine enough power for an adult rider. My youngest is going to be 21 years old this fall and if the Tecumseh it came with runs well enough I may use it.

Thanks for your comments

Last edited: