I Broke Down and Bought a Shop Fox Lathe/Mill Combo

I can't stand it anymore. I just can't stand to ask to use other people's machines all of the time. I bought this thing and I hope it turns out OK. I don't have everyday use for a lathe but this will take care of the things I need to do. It threads funny but like any machine I will get used to it.

I know it's Chinese.

Doc

MB165

hi doc, for what we do with them those are great little machines. not too heavy and big, but plenty enough to turn out a axle or cut a keyway. i was looking for the threading dial it really does thread??? I still havent replaced mine yet, and kick myself in the butt for selling it.

Hi MB,

Yea, there is no threading dial so you have to engage the half nut, make the first cut and turn the machine off, reverse it and cut again without disengaging the half nut. It's a pain but it will thread. It's one of those things where the machine doesn't do either operation really good but it will do it.

Just like the old machines, there is no crash protection in case you run the carriage into the chuck. but the swing is huge on this machine. I can face a brake rotor or turn a 6" minibike wheel on it. I really did agonize over buying this instead of a straight lathe. I am very surprised that for such a small machine both spindle and tail stock use a #3 morse taper. The guy at the tool company convinced me it all would be OK and that he sells a lot of this machine. We'll see lol.

Doc

Last edited:
I paid $1500 tax/shipping included for it. I have to pick it up about 4 miles down the road. I think it was $1390 shipped/no tax. I'll have to bring it home on my landscape trailer and probably use a cherry picker to lift it. It's 440lbs out of the crate. The reason I have to use the trailer is the bed of the pick-up is too high. I am going to have to do some measuring or as a last resort get 4 really big guys to lift it onto the machinist table.

The owner of the store apparently sells a ton of Shop Fox and he stated his prices were based on how much he sells. He does cost plus percentage. I couldn't touch the price anywhere. He is also going to hold it when it comes in until I am ready for it. That's a huge help to me.

Doc

This is the one that I bought 3 years ago... also Chinese. I still like it. Perfect for what I need. It takes a little while to acquire all the needed tooling, but I feel like I'm pretty equipped now.

This is the one that I bought 3 years ago... also Chinese. I still like it. Perfect for what I need. It takes a little while to acquire all the needed tooling, but I feel like I'm pretty equipped now.

You actually have a better machine as far as the mill goes. The square mounts don't tend to flex as much as the round. I have some tooling from years ago but you know how that goes...you always are looking for the next tool lol.

Nice item. :thumbsup: Be sure to post photos when it's all set up and running.
Thanks Tom, I promise.

Nice Doc.
A mini mill/Drill and turn station is a nice thing to have at home.
This thing should be as hoot to play with. Thanks.

This is awesome I am jealous!
You can come over and use it anytime you want lol.

Way cool , that will be a great asset , $$$ well spent !!
I think so Chipper. I'm just tired of always asking.

Doc

That is amazing for a compact machine. :thumbsup:

Lol, yea it is right? That was kind of the one spec that caused me to go with the machine. My only concern is that the slowest speed on the lathe is 150 RPM and I would have liked to see 50 RPM. You also give up a few other things on the lathe for that swing. I'm not sure how I'm going to like the half nut constantly engaged to cut a thread but if you want one of these things, you have to give something up. Like anything else, I'll eventually get used to it. The only other thing that concerns me is it may not be able to use a follow or steady rest.

Doc

Last edited:
Excellent purchase Doc. Now all you need is a good tubing bender and you'll be able turn out Fox Campus frames by the dozens. Seriously though; you will come to realize that, that was one of the best things you ever bought. A lathe and milling machine are absolute necessities for anyone wishing to do quality minibike restorations. Congratulations! Ogy