I don't get it...

Tell the truth

Guess what just happened?

My Ozzy brother in law called me tonight and was working down the street, His pressure washer died for no reason (Robin engine) and he broke the starter rope.

I could have said "DROP A CLONE IN IT!" But I says come on down and we fix. He comes in the garage and see's 20 something mini's and his eyes pop out. I ask him "does it look like I have a problem?" :biggrin: so we go over all the makes and years then fix his pressure washer (cord and water in gas)

THEN he says can we ride these? So I ask if he ever rode one and he says he hasn't been on a bicycle in 20 years and never drove a "motor bike" before . :eek: ,,,,,,,,so I give him the DB to ride :laugh: I figured if he dumps it who cares and it has a Tav 2 so he can't burn the clutch. :wink:

He starts off doing laps at two MPH then I say ok now air it out so he got faster and faster then it got to the point where he was going too fast. :doah: Boy was he hooked, he was talking to the neighbors saying "isn't this great mate?". :thumbsup:

Of all the bikes he liked a few of the bigger ones and kept going back the Taco because of the metal flake seat which reminded him of his Stingray when he was a kid. I think he called it metalized. I told him there where one or two brands of mini's available in Australia and he really wanted to get one of those bad.

Anyway, he wants to come back and ride some more . "cheers" as they say down under:drinkup:
Tell the truth. You put your buddy on the Doodle Bug because it is the only mini bike you own that is both modern and reliable. Nothing would have been more embarrassing and humiliating than to have one of your “restored” rust buckets break down on the first lap. Your buddy wouldn't have been too impressed with your silly little collection than, would he have? You made the right decision putting him on the modern Doodle Bug, well done.

In fairness: I think GTO builds ride-able bikes, even with his old ones... unlike some here who only want to create show-pieces.

The DBs are just so close to the older classics (hard tail, etc.) but with a comfortable size, that they are great for introducing folks to the fun of Mini Bikes.

:lol: leave the site for awhile and it's the same argument :eek:ut: I get it you find a old mini you get the original engine( you don't shove a Hyundai engine into a model t). get a kit or new frame, or build it engine choice is open. or if you have an old mini and just want to roll throw whatever in there and don't post the pics or talk about it :lol:

Tell the truth. You put your buddy on the Doodle Bug because it is the only mini bike you own that is both modern and reliable. Nothing would have been more embarrassing and humiliating than to have one of your “restored” rust buckets break down on the first lap. Your buddy wouldn't have been too impressed with your silly little collection than, would he have? You made the right decision putting him on the modern Doodle Bug, well done.
I now understand what his handle "NoBigBike" really means! He wouldn't know how it feels. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fairness: I think GTO builds ride-able bikes, even with his old ones... unlike some here who only want to create show-pieces.

The DBs are just so close to the older classics (hard tail, etc.) but with a comfortable size, that they are great for introducing folks to the fun of Mini Bikes.
I have bigger an more comfy bikes. and even two that are hard tail yet shocked. :sorcerer:

:lol: leave the site for awhile and it's the same argument :eek:ut: I get it you find a old mini you get the original engine( you don't shove a Hyundai engine into a model t). get a kit or new frame, or build it engine choice is open. or if you have an old mini and just want to roll throw whatever in there and don't post the pics or talk about it :lol:
I've seen a lot of "T"s with engines made decades after the car. :thefinger:

den35

I'm gonna throw my $0.02 into the pot.:wink:

It all boils down to personal preference.Old minis can be a thing of beauty if properly cleaned up,but(at least around here) they can be hard to find or very expensive.

New import minis(DB,Baja,etc) are more readily available,not as pricey and can offer a lot of fun for the price,but don't have the style and class of a nicely restored classic mini.

So what's better?Classic style or modern functionality?The correct answer is.........

NEITHER!It all depends on the owner.And as long as it's yours,who cares what others think.

But that's just my opinnion.

den35

we owe the Chinese billions, they got the money from us. Does that matter? Can anyone smell what the Mow is cookin? :thefinger:

Now I see.It's not a minibike issue,but rather a cultural issue.Well,that's the price of international commerce.You don't seem to mind the chinese technology that's in the computer you're reading this on right now.:wink:

But that's another kettle of fish.

Now I see.It's not a minibike issue,but rather a cultural issue.Well,that's the price of international commerce.You don't seem to mind the chinese technology that's in the computer you're reading this on right now.:wink:

But that's another kettle of fish.
I don't think you see :censure: It's not their technology, neither was the DB.

Do I have a choice to buy an old school computer? NO! But I do with a mini. ("see"?)

Oldsalt

NBB

Hummmm. You got me thinking it could be true that you are speaking from a superior position and do, infact, have a peerless collection and possess greater powers of discrinination, and knowledge and skill than GTO. Yes, maybe you're right about GTO having a "silly little collection" as you put it. And, hell, you may have insider information about his collection being rife with ""restored" rust buckets" that are break down prone. Ya almost got me landed. All you have to do to set the hook is to post a few pics of your world class collection. I'm ready to rush out tomorrow morning and buy me a brand new "modern and reliable" DB.

george3

vette66_00 notice you and a couple others do alot of talk of old guys, but in your profile no age listed? in your photos no pics? your name on here is vette66 why? You pay 200.00 for a db and sell the origional engine? thats funny, anything that is worth while you dont sell the origional engine. what does that tell you. are you guys making a statement here that you dont realize about your dbs? do you own a vette does it have the origional engine? also I think if I owned a db. frends would be rideing the bd not my other bikes. If they wrecked it I figure so what its only a db not worth nothing. not worth keeping the origional engine or any single part on it. I would treat it like any disposable item. its like first choise on a loner ride. I think that is how the people on this site may think. I do.

vette66_00 notice you and a couple others do alot of talk of old guys, but in your profile no age listed? in your photos no pics? your name on here is vette66 why? You pay 200.00 for a db and sell the original engine? that's funny, anything that is worth while you don't sell the original engine. what does that tell you. are you guys making a statement here that you don't realize about your dbs? do you own a vette does it have the original engine? also I think if I owned a db. friends would be riding the bd not my other bikes. If they wrecked it I figure so what its only a db not worth nothing. not worth keeping the original engine or any single part on it. I would treat it like any disposable item. its like first choice on a loner ride. I think that is how the people on this site may think. I do.
George3. I really just like giving GTO :001_9898:. I hope someday to be older than I am now. Which I am 34 and my profile should say that. Hmm maybe I clicked keep private Ill change that. Pictures didnt know this was a car site. I figured when I did something worth putting in pics I would(hell its only a DB as you guys say. RIGHT?!!?) I really do enjoy older people I have more friends in the 50's-60's than my own age. They call me wet behind the ears and I tell them I can still run faster than you because I have your cane.

My name here is Vette66 because I do own a complete numbers matching 1966 Corvette. I also own a 1972 Datsun 620 with a 1967 (numbers verified) Corvette 327 engine. So I have both a complete car and something somebody's parted out and I made something else with. Do I care if my Corvette has all matching numbers well kinda and kinda not. I drive it, its got 72,658 original miles on it. 13,756 miles that I have put on it since my father and I did a frame off. I would not think any less of the car if the motor came out of another car. Why I care is because its worth more as an investment in the long run with all numbers matching thats the only reason.

What I have been trying to do is make most of these guys see that having a DB is not something to be put down about. Yes the original engine is a turd. I didn't sell my first engine I put it on my edger. Im sure there where lots of people back in the day (60's and 70's) that didn't think twice about pulling an original engine off and sticking something else on there. Of course today we have alot of engines more so available, that go better on the DB than stock.

In the 60-70's where the minis just like DB's well kind of and kind of not. Not made in China I guess is the biggest NOT LIKE. But In the 60's-70's you could buy a mini anywhere, hell there was I would say 20-30 maybe more different Manufactures of Mini Bike during those years. Correct? In every Magazine and every Dept store catalog you could find a MiniBike. Also DB's are still available, Im telling you right now if they where still selling a Bonanza's, Tote Gote's, or anything else (name your model) the same exact way they did in the 60's that bike would not be worth as much as most of you think they are now. And you would not think twice about letting your buddy get on and crash into the curb with it either, NOT. Would they be throw away mini's NO because you put out your hard earned cash to buy it. So its not fair for you to call our DB Mini's throw aways, junk, not worthy of being here POS's, or (just add your daily bitch here)

If we today had a larger choice, I might buy something else. But I think 500-600 for a new roller is insane and most of the parts Im sure are from China or the like anyway. Also these new rollers look about the same as a DB's frame.
To tell you the truth I only got a DB because I was tired of getting to a Minibike 30 mins to late after it had already been sold or something thats way overpriced. Most of the mini's I have seen lately need $300 just to get them going again.
I love putting things together don't get me wrong. I would love to find something Vintage and rebuild it ground up. But I also had a budget that I could spend. Now with getting laid off from work. My budget went in the pisser. I bought what I could at the time and someday will continue my search for something of Vintage worthiness to rebuild.

And just to add I own my House, My cars, and have less than $2000 In Credit Cards. And I have a savings account that I have been adding to for 10 years. AND I DONT have to have everything NOW as GTO has stated whats wrong with young people today. Also my unemployment covers everything and I have $600 to spare. Maybe I'm 1 in 1000's but I dont think so.

Last edited:
Sorry could not edit my post. Hate that. I changed my setting so you can see my age and birth date. Ill get some pics of my cars up so I have pics at least.

Last edited:
HAHA!! Ya know GTO is correct its all about Choice. You Choose yours and Ill choose mine. Don't you love America I mean Mexico I mean America. Where ever we live don't you love the freedom of Choosing our Mini's. If ya got the money choose away. But don't give me shit about my CHOICE.

I love beating up this thread. Cause Im a post whore. And I keep getting called out on things....LOL

Last edited: