I got robbed

What I think is really sad is if you are anything like the rest of us and I am sure that you are, if any one of those kids would have come to you with an old bike to fix up, you probably would have opened your garage to them and helped them get their bike going. As a matter of fact you may even have given them a few parts just to see them riding and having fun. Some people just don't get it. It is a real shame that instead of helping another generation discover the hobby we have to lock are toys away in impregnable vaults and watch where we ride them so they won't get stolen.

The problem is, youth these days have no interest in things mechanical. The world to them is digital and virtual, results have to be immediate. I see it at car shows and swap meets, all the attendees have grey hair.

If no complaint is made, the police don't know what to look for, my bike was recovered a year later in a drug bust.

Very true Bikebudy, and a couple check-ins to the station nearest your house for a while and you might get lucky. That's a decent sized city but stranger things have turned up.
Stick a vague mini bike want ad in the motorcycle and wanted section of your nearest Craigslist and chum the water a little for as long as you can, some people's stupidity has no boundaries.
They could turn up, keep your head on a swivel while you're driving around, good luck.

The problem is, youth these days have no interest in things mechanical. The world to them is digital and virtual, results have to be immediate. I see it at car shows and swap meets, all the attendees have grey hair.
Don't paint them all with the same brush. From my involvement in motorcycle racing I know lots of young people who are interested in mechanics.

That doesn't seem like a "general terms" statement to me. You have got to watch making a "blanket" statement like that to THIS forum crowd as you have sons and daughters working on bikes and karts alongside their (grey -haired ) dads like me. By the way, my son has been interested "in things mechanical" since he was 14 when he began restoration of his first minibike, a 2-speed Sears Roper.
Michael